NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
HAND NORWICH H index
Hand
St BENEDICT'S STREET
UPPER WESTWICK STREET
St BENEDICT FULL LICENCE See BEEHIVE
 
Licensees :
-
ROBERT LARK
worsted weaver
1760 - 1764
WILLIAM WATSON 1780 - 1798
DANIEL HAYDON 1806 - 1807

Stood on the North side of St. Benedict's opposite the church.

Recorded in the St. Benedict's Churchwardens' Accounts for 1626-27 as the location of the Perambulation Breakfast for the parishioners.
<On Perambulation Day, parishioners would walk the parish boundaries, a ritual keeping knowledge of the area fresh.>

Shown in the illustration of St. Benedict's Gate by Ninham. (1792)

At a flower show held here April 1777, the Reverend Mr. Henry Bryant, of Heydon, won first prize for his polyanthus, the silver medal went to Mr. Beck of Caston and the other medal went to Mr. George Oliver, of Norwich.

Offered to let 5th June 1779 or otherwise be disposed of at Midsummer - Enquire Thomas Bokenham, Surgeon, in the same street.
"Any person skilled in Brewing and willing to brew his own beer, would meet with great encouragement and would perhaps raise a fortune, as the Predecessor of the present Tenant did even without it."

William Watson, late servant to Mr. Weston, announced 2nd December 1780 that he had taken the Inn and fitted it up in the most commodious manner and laid in a good stock of old Wine and other Liquors.

One of 40 houses named as being engaged for the Reception of Freeholders for Sir John Woodhouse and Sir Edward Astley's Friends on the Day of Election, Wednesday 14th April 1784.

`To be Let, that Old Inn & Public House' - 1st October 1803.

The BEEHIVE by 1811