NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
KINGS ARMS NORWICH K index Kings Arms
New Lakenham index
22 HALL ROAD NEW LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE Tel :  01603 766361
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
YOUNGS & Co Owner recorded as John Youngs in 1845 - Later as Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs.
BULLARDS   
WATNEY MANN Exchanged with Greene King for the Queens Head, Bury St. Edmunds
GREENE KING    
FREEHOUSE Nicki Howard & John Craft
BATEMANS From November 2004
Licensees :
GEORGE COMAN 1833
SAMUEL JEFFRIES 1836 - 1845
STEPHEN HUBBARD 1848
JAMES BARKER
age 37 in 1851
1850 - 1851
JOHN JOLLY
& cow keeper
by 1854
Licence refused Tuesday 27th August 1867.
Convicted 06.07.1875 of selling out of hours.
Fine £3 plus 18/6d costs.
JOHN JOLLY junior 19.11.1878
HARRY CROWE 16.01.1906
HENRY OATWAY BARKER 13.06.1916
EMILY BARKER 19.11.1918
JOHN POTTER 05.04.1927
HARRIETT POTTER 28.08.1951
CHARLES ROBERT DRAKE
( & wife Lily, nee Potter )
20.11.1951
BRIAN STANLEY CASON 05.06.1973
TREVOR JOHN WATSON 07.01.1975
RICHARD JOHN EAVES 08.09.1981
CHARLES ARMSTRONG 11.09.1984
WILLIAM BELL 10.09.1985
OLIVE FRANCES BELL 14.02.1995
PETER FRANZ WILDNER & 
MAUREEN ANN SMITH
11.11.1997
NICKI HOWARD & JOHN CRAFT 22.04.1998
MICHAELA FRY & RICHARD ROBERTS 23.11.2004
TONI DANIELE FRY 04.09.2010
   

The sign, prior to hanging, 10.06.1998
The sign 1998

Built 1824.
First licensed 1830

Address as Southwell Street in 1845 & 1854

Sold 1833 by Thomas Cott, pawnbroker, to Charles Crawshay and John Youngs for £545
( Date could possibly be 1855 ?)

For Sale by Auction Tuesday 23rd May 1848.
In occupation of Mr. Stephen Hubbard as tenant to Messrs. Youngs & Burt, under a repairing lease of which three years would be unexpired by Mid Summer, at an apportioned rent of £47.
Comprising a Bar, Porter Room, two Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Passage, large Club Room, three Bed Rooms and two Cellars.

Known as CHARLIE DRAKES during the time of the popular landlord.
( Chairman of the Norwich & Norfolk Licensed Victuallers Association in 1962 )
Lily Drake was the daughter of John & Harriet Potter and married
Charles Drake in 1940. She died in January 2004 at the age of 92.

Purchased from Greene King and closed for refurbishment May 1998 to 10th June 1998.

Soon obtained the distinction of being the Eastern Evening News Pub of the Year and then the CAMRA East Anglian Pub of the Year (1999).

Offers a wide range of traditional ales
with East Anglian brews to the fore.
Over 60 Scottish Malt & Irish whiskies available.
Uniquely offers a place for you to enjoy a locally purchased take-a-way meal. Plates, cutlery & condiments are provided to accompany your meal with refreshments purchased on the premises.

Also caters for TV addicts.

 


The sign 2003

 

House No. 527 on 1845 Magistrates list.
  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Mis 18th C & alterations No 6 5 Yes
Added 19th C facade.
Nicely etched late 19th C glasswork on door.
Two bars, front bar and back bar.
Front bar has low beamed ceiling and several 19th C features such as matchboarding and fitted benches.
Both bars extremely sparsley furnished.