NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
NEW INN NORWICH N index
New Inn index
194 QUEENS ROAD
St. Catherine's Plain
St JOHN SEPULCHRE FULL LICENCE CLOSED 2001
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS Volumes I to IV ( 1867 to 1965 )
GRIMMER & Co  
LACONS after 1894
WHITBREAD  
Licensees :
WILLIAM LEGOOD 20.08.1867
SOLOMON RICHARDS 04.02.1868
EDWARD HEWING CURREY 14.10.1870
JOHN PARSONS 10.10.1871
ROBERT PUXLEY 27.06.1876
WILLIAM ROWLAND 08.01.1877
HENRY HERRING 04.01.1883
ELIZABETH HERRING 28.12.1897
EDWARD DAVID SAUNDERS 14.01.1908
GEORGE LINDLEY 26.05.1931
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 06.05.1958
FRANK HERBERT DRAKE 15.07.1958
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 26.11.1963
ANTHONY JOSEPH TUCKER 07.01.1964
Closed c1964 and demolished - business transferred to new building by 1965
ANTHONY JOSEPH TUCKER 1965
CHRISTOPHER KELLAWAY 10.06.1980
JOHN WOODS 26.07.1983
CLIVE THURLOW 29.11.1983
DAVID CARVER 12.12.1989
NIEL McLENNON &
KENNETH WILLIAM BROWNE
17.12.1991
ANGELA GRANT &
BERNARD HURRELL
07.07.1992
YVONNE YOUNG &
KEITH POINTER
06.07.1993
MICHAEL PERIVAL &
EDWARD LEWIS HUXALL
28.09.1993
WILFRED IVAN LARTER &
GARY RICHARD CORNWALL
21.12.1993
JAMES WILLIAM BEANEY 22.03.1994
PAUL TACON &
ROY PHILIP ABRAHAMS
14.02.1995
DAVID BREEN-TURNER 17.12.1996
LISA JANE COSSEY 17.06.1997
ELAINE HORN &
LARRY HORN
24.03.1998
JAMES DESMOND &
VIOLA ANGELA HUME
11.08.1998
DARREN ANDREW GOTTS 13.04.1999
Closed July.2000 to September 2000
MICHAEL SADD &
JOHN BERRY
12.09.2000


The Lacons tiled decoration dating from rebuilding in the mid 1900's?
2 such panels were uncovered during renovation work, following closure as a public house. Sadly destined to be hidden again.
The New Inn - 24.04.1998
April 1998

William Legood obtained a licence for the new house, built on the site of the LONDON STEAM PACKET, which had been demolished following loss of licence in 1866.

As the St. CATHERINES TAVERN 1879.

Also found at Finklegate and at Finket Street ( 1879 ).

St. Catherine's Plain 1890

The Chief Constable objected to renewal of licence at the Licensing Sessions as reported in the Norfolk Chronicle of 10.02.1906 since the premises had back doors that opened into closed yards common to occupiers of other premises. Police objections were purely structural and the Chief Constable agreed that they would be withdrawn if alterations were started or carried out before the adjournment of the Brewster Sessions.

Rebuilding ( by 1965 ) gave the address as Queens Road rather than Finklegate.

Closed and offered for sale 13th July 2000.
Re-opened September 2000 but finally closed 2001.

Boarded up 2001

Converted to commercial premises May 2003.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1930's No 5 6 Yes
Lacons Falcon in pediment of doorcase.
Good period lettering on doors
Two bar rooms: Lounge bar with flocked wallpaper, wooden ceiling, fitted dralon upholstered settees and matching chairs.
Wooden cornice in lounge bar with repeating motifs of beer barrels.
Bar counter set into wall.
Billiard room : Neo Tudor with fake studwork and rough plaster walls, low papered ceiling, some exposed brickwork and fake leaded glass interior window.
Public Bar : Stained wood panelled walls. Picture moulding, ceiling cornice with repeating beer barrel motif. Leatherette padded bar front.
1950's chairs with wooden arms.