NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
NEW STAR NORWICH N index
8 QUAY SIDE St. SIMON & JUDE FULL LICENCE CLOSED 29.05.1957
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 & PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 to 1925 )
STEWARD & Co ( Owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward as documents dated 1837 to 1851 )
STEWARD & PATTESON  
Licensees :
S. G. READ 1836
J G READ 1839
SAMUEL ROBERT BYGRAVE 1842 - 1845
ROBERT BYGRAVE
beer retailer
* 1850
RICHARD BUTTLE
& coal merchant
1854 - 1864
Fined 5s with 11s costs for having deficient beer measures in possession - Saturday 24th August 1861
HENRY BUTTLE 29.03.1864 - 1867
FRANCIS CHAPMAN
( Absconded by 1870 )
From 1867
EDWARD OSBORNE 15.02.1870
FREDERICK SENIOR 03.01.1893
WILLIAM WALTER BLOOM 11.08.1896
SARAH ELIZABETH BLOOM 11.02.1915
WILLIAM WALTER BLOOM 13.05.1919
CHARLES GALLANT 21.06.1921
Convicted 28.08.1929 of selling out of hours -
Fine £3 or 21 days detention.
LEONARD ARTHUR WATSON 07.05.1940
KENNETH JAMES EDWARDS 11.06.1957
ERNEST FREDERICK NORMAN LUNN
( Brewery representative )
09.02.1960

 

The NEW STAR - 1958
1958.

The JOLLY WATERMAN to at least 1830.

NEW STAR 1836 to 1957.

Mrs Ann Buttle of the NEW STAR was accused by shop keeper Royal Clarke of stealing his purse containing £19 10s. On Saturday 12th January 1867, Clarke had been at the house and had a drink and then went to Messrs. Harvey bank where he missed his purse. Returning to the public house he charged Mrs. Buttle with stealing the purse and she was arrested. Inquiries at the bank later ascertained that Mr. Clarke was so `fuddled' that he had left his money on the counter. The magistrates urged Mrs. Buttle to take proceedings against Mr. Clarke.......

6 barrels of beer sold in the final year of trading.

The proposal to demolish following closure was fought by the community. During discussions regarding the fate of the building one councillor suggested that the house had perhaps in the past been used as a brothel. The same councillor continued.....
`We do not want buildings like that in the City do we ?'

The ancient building was demolished ( c1963 ) and a warehouse built on the site.

Licence held by S&P to 1964 when not renewed.

 

See page 69 of `Norwich in Old Postcards - Vol IV ' first published 1992

House no. 290 on 1845 Magistrates list