NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ORCHARD TAVERN NORWICH O index
Orchard index
36 HEIGHAM STREET HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED by 1989
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1865 - 1965 )
STEWARD & Co   
STEWARD & PATTESON   
WATNEY MANN   
NORWICH BREWERY    
Licensees :
J. FOX 1856
T JARMAN
( Orchard Gardens Tavern )
1858
CHARLES WARNES
( Orchard Gardens )
1858 - 1859
Not found 1863 - 1864
HENRY HOLMES 1865
DONALD STEWARD by 1867
CHARLES HENRY CUNNINGHAM 11.10.1867
ALEXANDER BROWN 21.06.1884
CAROLINE ELIZABETH BROWN
( widow )
30.07.1901
WILLIAM WILKINS 04.02.1902
Convicted 22.03.1902 of permitting drunkenness.
Fine £2 plus 8/- costs or 1 month in detention.
WALTER MASON 13.06.1911
HENRY ALBERT PAVELEY 11.02.1930
WALTER WILLIAM STEWARDSON 10.03.1936
FREDERICK CHAPLIN
( went to WOODCOCK 1942 )
14.02.1939
Destroyed 1942
SAMUEL HORACE BEALES 25.08.1942
ALBERT JAMES BROWN 05.06.1945
KENNETH JAMES EDWARDS 02.10.1956
WILLIAM POINTER 31.12.1957
DORIS MARY MAUD POINTER 27.04.1965
.
.

Image by Charlie & George Ducker - taken on the final day of trading ( Date to be confirmed )
Image by Charlie & George Ducker
- taken on the final day of trading.

The ( original ) Orchard by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
08.07.1937
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002
The original Orchard Gardens.

For Sale by Auction Wednesday 14th June 1865 with frontage of 97 feet to Heigham Street and Garden and piece of Pasture Land to the rear, altogether about 228 Rods.

For sale by Auction Tuesday 14th May 1867 with about Six Acres of Land.
To be sold by order of the Representatives of the late Mr. Daniel Armes.

The ORCHARD GARDENS to 1884.

Premises reconstructed on part of the same site 1883.
Removal of licence to new premises declared final 17.06.1884.

Sign changed from ORCHARD GARDENS to ORCHARD TAVERN at time of new premises opening.

William Wilkins( 1902 - 1911 ) `Went in for betting' and was given notice by S&P.

Part of the site was taken for road widening in 1932 and the house was rebuilt.

House destroyed by enemy action 27th April 1942.
( Further damaged 29.04.1942 and 01.05.1942 )

Temporary wooden building erected and opened 5th June 1945.

Hut still in operation 1957 alongside the shell of the old house.

House yet again rebuilt, to be finally demolished 1989.

August Bank Holiday 1956 - Maud Brown. Image thanks to Albert Brown & LRLH
The `hut' August 1956.
Albert James Brown was licensee but also ran the shoe repair business opposite, where he and his wife Maud slept since the hut had no living accommodation.
Maud ran the pub and is seen here on the left hand side.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1956 No 3 2 No
One bar, modern fittings.