NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
PLOUGH NORWICH P index
Plough index
1 MARKET AVENUE
CASTLE DITCHES
St. MICHAEL AT THORN FULL LICENCE See LA ROUEN
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 - 1965 )
TOMPSON As July 1841 advertisement - To Let, with stabling for 40 horses. Immediate possession.,
STEWARD & Co as 1845 Magistrates list. ( Hired by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co - First supplied 1841 to 1842 )
MORGANS From 7th October 1853
BULLARDS 1961
WATNEY MANN 1967
Licensees :
-  
JAMES CURTIS 1822 - 1836
JAMES THOMPSON ( Tompson ? ) 1839
JOHN DAYNES 1842 - 1850
MARK COE by 1854
EDWARD COE 02.04.1872
ELIZA JANE COE 26.09.1877
Convicted 24.03.1917 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 20/- or 13 days detention.
STANLEY HARRY ARCHER 11.10.1921
RICHARD WILSON 24.08.1926
Convicted 08.02.1928 of permitting gaming.
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention.
ERNEST MANN 15.07.1941
Closed due to war damage. 1942
WILFRED GEORGE de JONGE 12.02.1946
CECIL TRERISE 01.10.1946
ARTHUR JOHN MOORE 13.05.1952
DAVID P. GILROY by 1967
STUART CLARKE 1971
DOURO POTTER 1973








House no. 58 on 1845 Magistrates list
The Plough by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
22.04.1967
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002


Known as the PLOUGH & HORSES, 1760 to 1836.

Address as Golden Ball Lane in 1845,
12 Cattle Market Street in 1890 & 1896.

18 year old John Mendham, a lodger at the Plough and Horses, hanged himself on the premises, on the morning of Saturday 14th February 1835. The inquest was held at the house the following Saturday and returned the verdict of Temporary Derangement.

Closure due to war damage was confirmed to the licensing authorities by `Customs note ' dated 09.02.1943.
The house did not operate during the remainder of the war as a public house, but was used by the American Army as headquarters for the Military Police.

Re-licensed February 1946 and Morgans Brewery advised the Magistrates in a letter dated 05.09.1946 that `We wish to reopen the premises 01.10.1946'.

Morgans sales for 1960 were :-
124 barrels of beer.
83 spirits.

Renamed LA ROUEN 1973
and the LE ROUEN from 2000.