NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SHAKESPEARE TAVERN NORWICH S Index
Shakespeare
42 COLEGATE STREET St GEORGE COLEGATE - CLOSED by 1894
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to 1/8/2  ( 1867 - 1925 )
FOYSON ( St. George's Brewery ) to 1833 
FREE TRADE ( Supplied for the first time by Steward & Co during the year commencing November 1842)
SEAMAN & Co 1845
GRIMMER & Co 1872
Licensees :
-  
JOHN TURNER
( St Georges Bridge Street )
1810
JAMES BUXTON
( Bridge Street )
1822
S. WILDE
( Colegate Street )
1822
ANTHONY HARRIS 1830
JOHN JUDD SHARPE 1836
WILLIAM GAZE 1842
RICHARD NEWTON IVES 1845
WILLIAM SEPPINGS 1850
THOMAS RISING BOOTH by 1856
SAMUEL STILES 10.10.1879



1846 illustration

As at Bridge Street 1810 & 1822.
Appears to have relocated 1822.
At Colegate 1822 & 1894
As near the Church 1845

The SHAKESPEARE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS 1836
SHAKESPEARE WINE VAULTS 1842

Part of the estate of brewer Thomas Foyson, who died prior to March 1832. House to be sold by auction September 1833.

Described at that Well-Established Public-House, fronting the street and in occupation of T R Booth when offered for sale by auction Monday 31st August 1857. The shop adjoining formed part of the estate, lately occupied apart from the public-house. Lot 2 was a Dwelling-house adjoining, lately used as a printing office extending down Water Lane. Unoccupied at time of auction, except for front shop in occupation of Mr. Lofty, hairdresser.

Licence dropped 1894

Note: 1822 directory gives 2 Shakespeare's at St George Colegate,
one at Colegate Street and the other at St. Georges Bridge Street.