NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
STANLEY ARMS NORWICH S index
Stanley Arms
33 MAGDALEN ROAD St. PAUL 6 DAY LICENCE from 1872 -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
STEWARD & CO from 1890
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN 1967
NORWICH BREWERY  
PUBMASTER  
Licensees :
ARTHUR THOMAS TOWLSON 21.08.1890
STANLEY ARTHUR TOWLSON 11.10.1921
FRANCIS WELLS THURSTON 20.06.1933
GEORGE FREDERICK HOBART 11.07.1944
CECIL CHARLES NASH 04.10.1955
DOUGLAS DAVIES 1975
B. ROGERS 1978
PHILIP JOHNSON by 1987
PIPPA COSSEY 11.1989




Licence of the BRITISH QUEEN and that of the GARIBALDI transferred to this new house 21.08.1890. At that time the house was to be called the DUKES HEAD, however on 23.09.1890 the name was changed to the STANLEY ARMS.

Arthur Towlson made an application, on Monday 24th August 1891, for a music and singing licence. He desired the licence for the convenience of his customers who were desirable of forming a musical union. The event would be held in the bar-parlour which had a separate entrance to the street. The magistrates refused the application.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942

Known in the late 1900's as the STANLEY, with a Laurel & Hardy theme.

The Stanley - 2000
2000

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1886 No 6 6 Yes
Etched glass to windows saying `Bar', `Retail' and `S&P'.
Separate public bar, snug, lounge and club room.
Original bar fittings in dark wood.
Ornate corner pieces.
Old cornices.
Unusual circular tables in bar (Edwardian?)
Friendly, traditional, local pub.
When owned by Steward & Patteson it had a beautifully painted sign showing Stanley greeting Dr. Livingstone in the jungle. This was replaced (in typical fashion) by Watneys when they took over in the 1960's.