NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
THREE PIGEONS NORWICH P Index T Index
Three Pigeons Index
16 CHARING CROSS St. GREGORY FULL LICENCE See HOG IN ARMOUR
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 & PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
TOMPSON Conveyed to Morgans 25th March 1845
MORGANS 1845
BARWELL & SONS c1943
TOLLEMACHE & COBBOLD after 1954
Licensees :
-
-  
NICHOLAS SCOTT
woolcomber
1760 - 1763
MARY MOON 1806 -1806
BENJAMIN FITT 1810 - 1822
HENRY VINCENT 1830
THOMAS SLACK 1836
WILLIAM HEAP
earthenware dealer
age 64 in 1851
1839 - 1854
FRANCIS HAGUE 1856
J SACKER 1858
JAMES LANE by 1859
Convicted 10.02.1881 of selling out of hours.
Fine £5 plus 17/6d costs
JAMES MOONEY 28.06.1881
WILLIAM HENRY MOORE 24.06.1884
ROBERT CHESTNEY 10.10.1885
JAMES YEOMANS BLYTH 28.11.1890
Licence not taken up 1891 - House demolished.
Relocated in new premises on opposite side of road.
HENRY MORGAN 21.08.1891
ROBERT TURNER RIX 11.10.1892
WALTER COE 08.08.1893
EDWARD CHARLES CLARKE 02.01.1894
ALBERT LINFORD 23.03.1897
JOHN DYER 09.05.1899
THERESA DYER 08.05.1900
CHARLES CHRISTMAS GROOM 06.05.1902
ARTHUR WALTER TURNER 17.01.1905
GEORGE BLOOMFIELD WATSON 27.11.1906
ALFRED WILLIAM BATTERBY 28.11.1911
Convicted 05.06.1917 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention.
Convicted 06.11.1917 of permitting drunkenness.
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention.
FREDERICK DONALD MACKENZIE 05.04.1923
Convicted 11.07.1930 of selling out of hours.
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention.
FREDERICK ROBERT CLARKE 09.02.1932
JOHN WOODHOUSE HOLDEN 06.02.1934
ALFRED MILES NEAL 04.09.1934
ERNEST MANN 01.01.1935
ARTHUR DOUGLAS WARD 06.10.1942
WILLIAM VICTOR PAIGE 28.08.1951
FREDERICK ALAN GREEN 03.01.1961
PETER WICKHAM by 06.1966
EDWARD OWEN 1969
DAVID HOSKINS & ALAN FULLER 07.1977

House No. 242 on 1845 Magistrates list.

Given as the PIGEONS 1806, 1807, 1810,1822, 1850 & 1854.

2 dwellings and a small Raghouse were included in the 1844 sale when Morgans purchased the premises. The site then being at the corner of St. Benedicts Street and Lower Westwick Street.

Advertised to let 27th April 1854 by application to Morgans Brewery. Described as well worthy of the attention of a person desirous of embarking in the Furniture Trade, or other, requiring spacious premises.

A provisional new licence was granted to Henry Morgan 21.08.1891 for a new house to be built on the South side of St. Benedicts Street in place of the old house which was to be demolished to allow `public improvement'.

New licence declared final 10.10.1892. ( 16 Charing Cross )

Became the offices and retail outlet for Barwell & Co following the destruction of the St. Stephens premises in 1942.

House renamed the HOG IN ARMOUR 1977