NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
THORN TAVERN NORWICH index
25 BER STREET St MICHAEL AT THORN FULL LICENCE See GOLDFINGERS
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1865 - 1965 )
FREE TRADE 1845
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
-  
Licensees :
-
ROBERT HOWARD 1836
WILLIAM CRISPIN HOLLAND
age 74 in 1851
1839 - 1851
WILLIAM THOULESS ( 41 )
cordwainer
1851
WILLIAM BENJAMIN DICKERSON 1854 - 1859
ROBERT LARKMAN by 1864
ROBERT MANTHORPE 23.03.1886
HARRY FOOTE 03.01.1888
WILLIAM BARRETT 10.10.1889
GEORGE CARY 10.10.1900
Convicted 11.10.1902 of keeping open out of hours.
Fine £3 plus 7/- costs or 1 months detention
ALFRED BERNARD JAMES 30.12.1902
ELIZABETH JAMES 05.04.1904
Convicted 04.11.1914 of permitting gaming.
Fine 5/- plus 8/- costs or 7 days detention.
ALBERT WYETT 20.11.1917
Convicted 08.09.1920 of selling out of hours.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
Convicted 13.07.19210 of selling out of hours.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
ERNEST THURLOW 29.11.1921
JAMES COOPER 22.11.1927
WALTER ETHERIDGE 08.05.1934
FREDERICK DONALD GEORGE DANIELS 12.05.1953
ARTHUR BEALES 1968
-  
PAUL DAVIES 1979 - 1986
-  
COLIN WARD 1996
-  
-  



House No. 65 on 1845 Magistrates list.
The Thorn - June 1988
June 1988
 
Address given as St Bartholomew Street ( 1851 / 1852 ?).

Described as Liquor Shop and Tavern, free of Brewer and Spirit Merchant when offered for sale Friday 1st August 1851. Occupant then Mr. W. C. Holland. `Commanding situation for trade, fronting the best part of Ber Street and comprising an excellent Spirit Shop and Porter Room, Sitting Room, Bed Rooms, and Kitchen, the whole replete with every convenience. Also a spacious Club Room, 25 feet in length and Excellent Cellarage.

Labourer Benjamin Newman was fined 10/- with 4/6d costs or 7 days detention with hard labour for bring drunk and disorderly and for maliciously breaking a window at the Thorn Tavern, upon being ejected. - according to the Norfolk Chronicle of 11th July 1896.

Damaged by enemy action 27.05.1942.

Known as WARDY'S FREEHOUSE from 1996.

The Thorn Tavern - June 1998
June 1998

Renamed GOLDFINGERS 06.10.1998

 

Back to the THORN TAVERN May 2005, but closed by 2006.

A restaurant by 2015


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1870 & 1930 No 3 1 No
Possibly 17th / 18th centaury but 1930's facade added.
Archway between bar room and pool room.
Marley tiled floor to bar room with papered ceiling, artex walls, picture moulding and dado rail.
Fitted leatherette benches, slot back, upright chairs, formica wood grained tables.
Framed photographs of Youngs & Crawshay pub signs.