NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
VINE TAVERN NORWICH B index V Index
Backs index Vine index
3 GENTLEMAN'S WALK St. PETER MANCROFT FULL LICENCE See CURATS HOUSE
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
FREE TRADE First supplied by Steward & Patteson during the year commencing November 1840
PHILIP BACK by 1867
PHILIP EDWARD BACK by 10.03.1903
BACKS Ltd 09.01.1932
HENEKEYS Ltd of London  15.03.1952
Licensees :
-  
EDWARD BACK
age 50 in 1841
1841 - 1845
PHILIP BACK by 1867
PHILIP EDWARD BACK 24.08.00
PHILIP GLANDFORD BACK 12.02.1929
BERNARD SKIPPER 1950's
-  



In September 1866, Back & Co. offered Allsopp & Son's Burton Ales, March Brewings, to be delivered to all Railway Stations, at a day's notice.
Per 18 Gallons
X   18s
XX   21s
XXX   24s
F   27s
East India Pale   30s
A   30s
Ax   33s
B   36s
Bx   39s
C   42s
Backs, The Haymarket,  by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002


Listed as the VINE 1840, 1845 & 1877.

Edward Back & Son, Wine & Spirit Merchants advertised in April 1842 that they were the Sole Agents in Norwich for the sale of Hodgson's Celebrated Pale East India Ale.

Agents for Allsopp's Pale and Burton Ales 1857 also Bury Dinner Ale and London and Dublin Stout. Supplied to Families in fine condition and provided in 4½ , 9, 18 gallon Casks and bottled on the Haymarket premises.

The Norfolk Chronicle of 14.02.1903 reported that owners of adjoining property, Mr W. M. Nichols and W. J. Barker, objected to licence renewal on the grounds that developments of the Vine were injurious to the neighbouring properties. The licence was granted on the provision that the premises were returned to their original condition.

On Tuesday 10th March 1903 Mr. Philip E. Back confirmed that the entrances (from White Lion Street?) that had caused objection had been blocked up and the premises had returned to their original condition. He further confirmed that the entrance to the Wine Room had existed before January 1902 and was not part of the recent alterations. Licence confirmed.

Full 6 day licence from 1872 to 13.02.1962 when 6 day condition revoked.

Known as BACKS until to closure 1971.

(Last day of trading Saturday 3rd April 1971)



See also CURATS HOUSE &  MANCROFT VAULTS.