NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE LION NORWICH W index
White Lion
135 MAGDALEN STREET St PAUL FULL LICENCE
to 1910
CLOSED 08.08.1962
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
St. MARTINS BREWERY Offered for sale 13.07.1797 - The property of the late John Day.
STEWARD &Co Freehold owned by George Morse - c1845
STEWARD & PATTESON  
Licensees :
-  
THOMAS BEECHINO
worsted weaver
1760 - 1762
THOMAS GRAY
labourer
1763 - 1764
JOHN CUTTING 1783 - 1798
THOMAS STOREY 1806 - 1807
JOHN RAINSFORTH / RAINFORTH 1810 - 1822
JOHN HEWITT 1830 - 1836
JAMES HOWES
age 55 in 1851
1839 - 1859
ELIZABETH HOWES
(Husband James given as a bricklayer)
1861
FREDERICK MARLER CROW by 1865
WILLIAM RANDALL 05.10.1868
EMILY RANDALL 11.10.1877
EMILY NORTHFIELD 09.09.1930
WALTER MOORE 18.06.1935
EDWARD FREDERICK POINTER 05.04.1937
CHARLES JOHN LINCOLN 28.12.1937
WALTER JAMES GRADY 21.08.1945
STANLEY ALFRED HAYDON 05.04.1951
REGINALD JOSEPH ARTHURTON 13.07.1954
THOMAS CHARLES BARMINGHAM
(also found as Bamlingham)
28.12.1954
HAROLD FOYSTER 19.07.1960
ERNEST FREDERICK NORMAN LUNN 09.10.1962


Thanks to Michael Roots for added info 26.07.2004
 
The Norwich Gazette of January 26th 1723 recorded that Robert Briggs, Millwright, near the White Lyon in Magdalen Street....makes Boulting Mills of all sorts & also repairs or new build Wind-Mills or Water-Mills, in better than usual; likewise Horse-Work or Hand-Work.

One of 36 Norwich houses opened for the reception of Voters in the interest of Mr. Windham and Mr. Coke on election day, Thursday 13th November 1806.

Spirit licence dropped 1910.
House closed for trading 8th August 1962.

S&P advised the Magistrates in a letter dated 16.07.1964 that they wished to surrender the licence.