NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE ROSE NORWICH R index W index
Rose index White Rose
109 COWGATE STREET St. JAMES   CLOSED 08.02.1907
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 to 1925 )
MORGANS as recorded 1845 to 1907
Licensees :
-  
NATHANIEL STEWARDSON - Rose  1836 - 1842
JOHN THORPE  -   Rose 1842
WILLIAM NEWBY
included in Magistrates list of 1845 at the Rose
1845
JOHN BREWSTER at Rose according to White 1845
JAMES WEBB - age 27 in 1851, victualler * 1851
JAMES WHALL - ( age 69 in 1851, weaver )
( as Wall in 1856 )
& silk weaver in 1861
1856 - 1861
CHARLES TUCK by 1865
JOHN MIDDLETON 17.11.1868
JAMES HOWARD 04.04.1871
Accused 25.11.1871of harbouring Police whilst on duty.
EDWARD NEWMAN 10.10.1872
MARY ANN NEWMAN 30.06.1874
JOHN WARNES 10.10.1874
WILLIAM ROUNCE 28.09.1878
LEWIS SMITH 03.12.1883
HENRY JORDAN 14.08.1888
CHESTER GOOCH 27.11.1888
JOHN LAWS 13.08.1889
WILLIAM PORTER WEBB 19.11.1889
JOSEPH FARRELL 25.03.1890
CHARLES HENRY HOWES 05.05.1892
FREDERICK EDWARDS 27.06.1893
WALTER LEE 13.08.1895
Convicted 03.12.1896 of allowing consumption out of hours
and for keeping open out of hours.
Fine 10/- on each case plus 6/6d costs or 7 days detention.
Convicted Saturday 11th February 1900 of allowing drunkenness on 6th February.
Fine £2 plus 8/- costs or 14 days detention.
Licence endorsed since both the landlord and landlady were under the influence of drink as well as customer Harriet Plane.
JOHN HALL 08.05.1900
JOSEPH BARLOW 10.10.1900
GEORGE BLOOMFIELD WATSON 30.07.1901



Given as the ROSE in the 1800's to 1890.

Note there are two entries for the Rose in 1842.
One entry immediately follows other.
Both give location as Cowgate Street

Location given as near the Church in 1845.

For Sale by Auction Tuesday, 26th June 1855 - Freehold.
Described as the ROSE TAVERN, with seven rooms, cellar and back entrance in the Priory yard. In the occupation of John Whall.

According to the Norfolk Chronicle of 10.02.1906, Police Inspector Cooper explained that the house suffered from structural and sanitary defects and that there were 15 other licensed houses within 200 yards.

Licence provisionally refused 07.02.1906 and referred to Compensation.
Closed under Compensation 08.02.1907









House No. 465 on 1845 Magistrates list.