NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
OLD OAK WYMONDHAM Index
NORWICH ROAD FOREHOE HUNDRED BEERHOUSE
later FULL LICENCE
CLOSED 25.08.1969
CANN & Co As recorded 1873.
MORGANS   
BULLARDS   
WATNEY MANN to closure 1969
Licensees :
-
CHARLES GOODRUM
age 55 in 1851
& farmer
1845 - 1863
Mrs H. GOODRUM
(Harriet ?)
1864 - 1865
JAMES LEEDER 1869 - 1879
ALDERMAN MOORE *1881 - * 1888
JOHN MOORE
& dealer
1891
-  
F. H. MALLETT 1937
....... MALLETT c1962
-  

Named after the nearby Kett's oak.

Location given as at Norwich Common 1851 & 1861.
Address of Downham in 1864 & 1865.

In 1866 the inquest into the death of an elderly pedestrian was held here. He had been killed by the actions of a millers horse & cart that had bolted along the Norwich turnpike.

Listed as a Beerhouse in Harrod & Co's Postal & Commercial directory of 1868.

On 9th September 1873, the magistrates refused to re-new the licence since the house did not appear to met the annual value as stated in the 1872 Licensing Act. The house was to be valued by the 16th September and if of sufficient value, the licence would be granted.
(Minimum annual value given for other Norfolk houses in the range £11 to £15)

Licence renewed upon application by Messrs. Cann & Co on Tuesday 16th September, since the valuation made by Mr. John Standley had confirmed the house to be of sufficient value.

Morgans sales for 1960 were :-
68 barrels of beer
22 spirits.

Temporarily closed 25.08.1969, but this became permanent under Watney Mann.

Became a private dwelling.