( died 31st January 1783 )
||1819 - 1824
||1830 - 1839
||Aug 1842 - 1846
|1858 - 1861
|* 1869 - 1871
|W K FRANCIS
( Alfred Charles Brighten 1883
A C Brighton 1888 )
|1881 - 1888
||1891 - 1896
|ALBERT EDWARD HERMAN
27.03.1916 for permitting members of H.M. Forces to be on the premises after 9:00pm. Fine
2/6d or 3 days detention.
|ETHEL MAY HERMAN
14.02.1917 of selling out of hours.
Fine 40/- or 1 month in detention.
|JOHN GEORGE COSSEY
|| The Norfolk
Chronicle of 29th March 1783 carried the notification:-
Yarmouth, March 17, 1783.
Henry HAWKE respectfully begs Leave to inform the Nobility, Gentry,
his Friends, and the Public in general, that he has taken that compleat
Inn, THE BEAR, at the Front of Yarmouth Bridge, (late in the
Occupation of Mr Thomas PARKERSON ) where he has laid in a choice Stock of
Wines and Liquors. He solicits the Continuance of the Favours of those
Gentlemen, Ladies, and others, who are Customers of the House, as well as
those of his Friends; at the same Time he assures them that no Pains shall
be spared to render their Accommodation agreeable.
N.B. The London Machine inns here.
A club based at the Bear Inn were part holders of Lottery Ticket No. 7633
and as such were entitled to a quarter share of the £6000 prize. A
gamekeeper from Loddon was one of the other winners on this ticket. May 7th
Mrs Browne advised the Public 9th August 1842 that having disposed of her
interest in the Bear Hotel, she thanked all for their support and advised
that Mr. Puncher, from Norwich, had undertaken the conduct of the
On the same date Mr. Robert Puncher acquainted his Friends and Public that
he had taken possession of the long-established and comfortable family hotel
and solicited those favours so liberally enjoyed by his predecessor, Mrs
Address as Bridge Foot 1822, 1836 & 1839.
Southtown 1830 & 1846.
8 Bridge Road, Gorleston in 1861
As the ONE BEAR 1891.
Original house demolished in 1849 and was situated at what became the South West corner
of the Haven Bridge.
Referred to Compensation 10.03.1939.
House closed 10.03.1940.
The private residence of Mrs. A. Bailey in 1959