NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE HORSE ASHWELLTHORPE Index
THE STREET DEPWADE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
HENSTEAD & DEPWADE REGISTER taken 9th September 1790 & 11th September 1794
WESTONS St GEORGES BREWERY - NORWICH
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS   
BULLARDS    
WATNEY MANN   
FREEHOUSE From March 1996
Licensees :
-
CHRISTOPHER BROWNE / BROWN
Died May? 1794 - age 94 `For upwards of 50 years the master of the White Horse'.
c1740 - 1794
-  
ROBERT COLMAN *1829
ROBERT COLEMAN 1836
ROSAMOND COLMAN
age 70
(died Q4 1854)
*1841
ROBERT ELLIOTT
(age 30 in 1851)
died Q2 1878 age 62
1845 - 1878
Mrs ELIZABETH ELLIOTT widow
age 68 in 1881
died Q2 1888 age 76
1879 - 1888
JOHN W ELLIOTT
& carpenter
age 33 in 1891
1890 - 1891
JOHN ALLCOCK 1892 - 1896
JAMES TYRRELL
age 41 in 1901
*1897 - 1904
GEORGE WILLIAM EDWARDS 1908
JAMES WELLMAN 1912 - 1922
WILLIAM PARRY 1925
JOHN HENRY LAWN 1929 - 1937
-
ROBERT & ROSE HOWES
(Bob & Rosie)
to 1959 
PERCY THOMPSON Summer 1959
..... COOPER c1962
..... REEDER c1963
.
LINDA & PETER SMITH 01.04.1997
-  

Diane Alden advises that Bob & Rosie Howes would have been at the house probably in the late 1950's to early 1960's.
Rosie Howes maiden name was Cooper.



Robert Colman appears as a victualler at Ashwellthorpe in an Agreement of Sale, dated 22nd September 1829.
A farmhouse, barn, other buildings and parcels of land were agreed to be purchased for the sum of £742, by William Wigglesworth of Wymondham. The property was in Wicklewood and in the occupation of William Breeze.


Part of the estate of St Georges Brewery, Norwich. Sold by auction 18th August 1864 to Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs.
Freehold sold by Y,C&Y Partnership to Y,C&Y Company as detailed in document dated 27 November 1897, for completion 01.02.1898.

Percy Thompson was licensee in the summer of 1959, following Bob Howes.
At that time weekly sales were one pin of bitter (36 pints) and one kilderkin of mild (144 pints) . A small  amount of bottled beer made up the trade. Some rum was consumed but that was usually after time on a Friday night!
At the time there were no main drains and the toilets were buckets.
(Common throughout the county - some private dwellings had such facilities still in use in the 1990's)
After three months Mr. & Mrs. Howes moved on.

No change recommended at
First Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and S&P,  29 May 1962.
Barrelage given as 116

Included in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2012
(Published Sept 2011)

Thanks to Paul Thompson for the 1959 update.