NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN BAWDESWELL Index
THE STREET EYNESFORD HUNDRED BEERHOUSE CLOSED 1920/21
Eynesford Licence Registers taken 17th September 1794 & PS/3/4/1 - PS/3/4/ 5 ( c1880 - 1929 )
JOHN RAY Esq ( Died 1890 )
DEREHAM BREWERY Bidwell & Co - Sold by Shelford Bidwell & Others 1891 to Thomas Bidwell
BIDWELLS (Thetford) Sold to E C Quilter 1st April 1905 - Trading continued as Bidwells
Licensees :
-  
THOMAS SHELT (?) 1794
-  
ROBERT UTTING
age 58 in 1851
& wheelwright
( Died Q2 1867 - age 74 )
1836 - 1863
ROBERT UTTING
age 56 in 1881
& wheelwright
( Robert Skelt Utting died Q3 1884 )
by * 1869
THOMAS UTTING 20.10.1882
WILLIAM BUSHELL 31.08.1885
JOHN BROOME 21.06.1886
NATHANIEL BYLES 17.01.1889
Miss LOUISA FENN
age 38 in 1891
08.09.1889
ELIJAH THOMAS ALLEN 12.1895
GEORGE LAWN 21.12.1896
GEORGE EVERT 18.10.1897
JOHN MOORE 17.10.1898
FREDERICK GOLDSMITH
age approx 28 in 1899
( Married  Charlotte Sparkes Q4 1898 )
17.04.1899
ZEPHANIAH JARVIS
& carpenter
age 36 in 1901
17.12.1900
MARTIN LINFORD 09.04.1906
WILLIAM WATTS 13.07.1908
EDGAR WILLIAM WRIGHT
age 36 in 1911
& Engine Driver
20.12.1909
WALTER CHARLES HATLEY 18.12.1911
EDWARD BLYTH 20.10.1913
FREDERICK WRIGHT 19.07.1915
ALFRED SHEARING 18.10.1915
CHARLES BARRETT
( temporary transfer )
01.12.1919
DAVID CHARLES PALMER
( Temp transfer Feb 1920 - Full 19.04.1920 )
02.02.1920


Crown Farm, Bawdeswell c1928
CROWN - BAWDESWELL - 1908
The above image was posted in 1908.

copyright 2005 norfolkpubs.co.uk
Edgar Wright & family c1910.

The house is given as the BEAR in the 1851 census.
( According to the LDS )

The CROWN Beerhouse - To Let 3rd October 1896 with possession at Michaelmas ( 10th October old style? )
Suitable for a Dealer.

Property sold to ( Charles ? ) Barrett 1921.
No licence application made.

Not identified in Kelly's 1922 directory.

Known as Crown Farm in 1920's
Today the property is known as Chaucer House
and the above scene is nearly the same -
Except the large tree is gone.

Bawdeswell - May 2001
May 1st 2001


The 1841 census does not name licensed premises but the route of the enumerator along the Street, from the direction of the Reepham Road, first gives ( Page 12 ) James Brown, Innkeeper ( Named at Ram in 1845 ), then ( Page 14 ) William Barrett Publican, at what should be the Crown. Robert Utting ( Page 15 ) is given further along the census return as a Wheelwright at what appears to be the Black Horse, a beerhouse. Finally ( Page 20 ) Thomas Sturley is named as Innkeeper at what would be the Bell, with the location given as the Slade. The complication is that William Barrett is given at a beerhouse in 1836 and 1845 ( Black Horse ? ) and Robert Utting is named at the Crown in the same years.
Further examination of the 1841 census shows
that shortly after visiting the house of William Barrett, the enumerator arrives at the Slade.
This suggests that several houses were missed on the first sweep along the street.
It seems likely that the public houses, and other dwellings  were visited out of order.

Perhaps the enumerator stopped in each licensed establishment,  had a tipple and got confused ???