NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
PLOUGHSHARE BEESTON Index
MAIN STREET LAUNDITCH HUNDRED FULL LICENCE after 1937 -
MITFORD & LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTERS 14.09.1795 &  PS 12/5/1 to PS 12/5/2 (1901 - 1975)
   DEREHAM BREWERY Sold 1828
JOHN MORSE From 1828 : For sale September 1847
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN from 19.04.1967 
CHEF & BREWER November 1974 : Lease for sale 1985
FREEHOUSE by 1987
COUNTRYSIDE INNS by October 2006
-  
Licensees :
-
JOHN CULLEN (died 1613) 1575
ROBERT TINKLER 1651
HENRY HUNNOCK
linen weaver
(died 1724)
undated
WILLIAM PAYNE / PAINE 1789 - 1795
JOHN STIBBARD 1811
SOLOMON BOWERS 1814
JOHN BRIDGES 1823
WILLIAM RUSH
( Died Q1 1846 ? )
1824 - 1836
WILLIAM CAPPS
age 73 in 1851
& tailor
( Died Q1 1855 )
1839 - 1855?
WILLIAM CAPPS
( nephew of previous W Capps )
Died Q1 1866 - age 59
1855 - 1861
FREDERICK GOODERSON 1863 - 1865
HENRY WYETT
(sometimes given as Wyatt)
Died Q3 1900 - age 60
1868 - 1900
JOHN PAYNE ALLSOP
age 38
1901
ARTHUR STEGGLES 1901 to 1903
ALFRED WEBSDALE 16.10.1903
FREDERICK LOVICK
age 43 in 1911
24.11.1905
ALBERT LACEY WARNER 16.10.1914
ISOBEL WARNER 09.02.1917
WILLIAM JAMES RICHES 13.10.1922
MATTHEW HARVEY THOMPSON 15.10.1926
ARTHUR RUDRUM 09.10.1936
HEDLEY ALAN MITCHELL 13.10.1939
EDMUND SYDNEY FRARY 12.04.1957
Mrs MILDRED ELIZABETH FRARY 20.11.1964
HENRY ERNEST STRETTIN
also found as Stretton / Strattin
11.03.1966
GORDON EDWARD WHEAL 11.10.1968
JOHN ROBERT WARD ( Jack ) 07.02.1969
SAMUEL RIDLER 1979
-  
PETER HAMMOND 10.2006
DARREN BOND 07.09.2007
JONATHAN LOOME 06.2011
-  

The Ploughshire - Autumn 1997
Autumn 1997


On site of an alehouse dating back to at least 1575

Parts of building date back to c1620.

For Sale by Auction Saturday 7th May 1814
With about 11 Acres of land, brew-house, barn, stables and other buildings.
Possession at Michaelmas.


For Sale by Auction Wednesday 26th May 1824, in occupation of William Rush.
An Independent Public House with barn, stables and suitable outbuildings, partly new-built and all in complete repair. Also about 12 Acres of pasture and arable land. Possession from Michaelmas.

John Morse, brewer of East Dereham purchased the house in 1828.

Lot No. 67 in 2nd day of sale, by order of the trustees of the late John Morse. Sale to be held on the 8th & 9th September 1847.

The property in 1847 sale included : -
Large Yard, 2 Stables, Gig House, Barn, Cow House, Granary and other Convenient Buildings, plus 2 Roods of Excellent Pasture - All Freehold. One of the William Capps' had purchased the house by 1858
( possibly at the 1847 sale ).

Offered for sale 21st August 1998 for £235,000
with carpets, fittings and equipment plus 0.25 acre.


Reopened October 2006.
Only open for 5 days however owing to problems obtaining a licence.


House again closed August 2007


Re-opened Friday 7th September 2007
 Closed by 2009.

Offered for sale as a `closed pub' March 2009.

Reopened December 2010.

Plans approved July 2011 to build dwellings on area previously used as beer garden.

Closed January 2016.

Declared an Asset of Community Value ( Designation to expire 4th June 2016 )
Beeston Community Enterprises formed to raise funds to purchase property........