NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ROYAL OAK OLD CATTON Index
SPROWSTON Index
122 NORTH WALSHAM ROAD TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED AUGUST 2012
BLOFIELD, TAVERHAM & WALSHAM REGISTER taken 9th September 1789 & 17th September 1794 and TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/1 to PS 9/8/3 (1872 - 1957)
note entries for 1887 to 1903 are missing from register
WILLIAM GALE Leased to S&P
STEWARD & PATTESON by 1878
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
..  
ENTERPRISE INNS  
Licensees :
-  
EDMUND HUNTING 1789
ROBERT SPRINGALL  1794
-  
RICHARD WEBB 1830
GEORGE KEW
& cabinet maker
1836
GEORGE PAGE 1839
EDMUND HOLMES
( as Edmond Holmes in 1841 census - age 25 )
1841 - 1846
JAMES COLDHAM 1850
JAMES SHORTEN (26) * 1851
CHARLES AINSLIE 1854
JONATHAN POWLEY 1856
Demolished by September 1858
-  
SAMUEL HUGGINS
age 58 in 1871
by September 1865
AMY ANN HUGGINS 10.12.1887
MATTHEW WILLIAM SMITH
age 40 in 1891
by 1890
CHARLES COOPER 04.06.1904
WILLIAM BREWSTER REYNOLDS 20.10.1906
LOUIS REGINALD CANHAM 11.11.1946
RICHARD ROBERT BREEZE 02.08.1946
STANLEY FRANK WILLIMENT 1960
JOY & BOB LAWS c1965 - 1973+
-  
DARREN REILLY October 2011
-  

Royal Oak - 28.07.1996
28.07.1996


Purchased by Thomas Cobbold in 1826, together with 2 cottages.

Steward & Patteson records state that the house was leased by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co at sometime during the period 1837 to 1851.

The Royal Oak ( Benefit ) Club was run by trustees William Fox and Thomas Rose in 1845. One of their members, Thomas Larkman, had been paying 18d a month and having sprained his ankle, had been in receipt of a club allowance. He was however `thrown out' of the club as soon as he could walk a few miles and since there was nothing in the rules to authorise such treatment, the Magistrates ordered that he should be re-instated a member of the club.

White describes in 1854 that `Benefit Societies are held at the Magpie and Royal Oak Inns, where there are also pleasure and tea gardens, laid out with great taste, and much resorted to by the inhabitants of Norwich, during the Summer months'.

Offered To Let December 1855 with Immediate possession.
Apply at the Counting-house of Messrs. Steward, Patteson & Co.

In September 1858 it was said that the house had been pulled down, the location of the site being Catton.

For Sale by Auction Thursday 8th December 1864.
The Newly Built House fronting the North Walsham Turnpike.
Let to Messrs. Steward & Patteson at the annual rent of £30.
The site covering two Acres and including a covered Skittle Ground, stable, Garden and a piece of Arable Land.

Location given as Sprowston in 1864 and later years.

Spirit licence awarded 2nd September 1865.

Prior 1965 there were cart sheds at the front of the house
( on Northern end ) extending to the road.

Plans to convert in to a veterinary surgery published 02.12.2003.

Refurbished October 2011 and re-opened by November with cask ales making a return after an absence of at least 7 years.

CLOSED August 2012.

Plans announced December 2012 to convert into commercial premises.