NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BATH HOTEL CROMER Index
ESPLANADE
THE PROMENADE
NORTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED
NORTH ERPINGHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 24/6/1 to 24/9/2 (1872 - 1969)
JAMES CHAPMAN of North Walsham
of Cromer (By September 1877)
BETSEY NEAL PRIMROSE Trunch Brewery (1879)
OLDMAN CARTER of Stoke Ferry 27.07.1896
C B SMITH (Brewery) of Trunch (Undated)
A LLOYD JONES 19.05.1930
TRUNCH BREWERY undated
MORGANS 1952
BULLARDS 1961
WATNEY MANN 1967 (Bullards were taken over in 1964 - but trading continued under the name to 1967)
BERT & BARBARA WHESTON 1984
M, T, & S. THACKER 1995
BARRIE & ANGIE CONNELL 1999
Licensees :
JAMES CHAPMAN 07.09.1874
BETSEY NEAL PRIMROSE 03.11.1879
EDWARD BURTON 26.08.1901
ROBERT EDWARD THOMPSON 17.02.1902
ROBERT WALPOLE PALMER 26.02.1906
JAMES RICHARD ROPER 01.07.1907
ROBERT WALPOLE PALMER
(Mrs ELIZABETH PALMER 1912)
30.11.1908
JAMES RICHARD ROPER
See below
11.01.1909
CHARLES GORDON HICKS 17.10.1921
EDITH ELIZABETH HICKS 09.11.1925
WILLIAM HENRY MANN 07.10.1929
ARTHUR LLOYD JONES 02.11.1931
THOMAS BAKER JONES 28.05.1934
CHARLES GORDON HICKS 30.09.1935
ALFRED RODWELL 17.09.1945
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE 29.11.1954
ALEX FELDMAN 24.01.1955
HAROLD DAVEY SEMMENCE 15.10.1956
HENRY GEORGE TRAYNIER
(also found as Trayner)
10.12.1956
THOMAS POTTER 07.12.1959
RONALD EDMUND COOKE 11.01.1962
CYRIL TAGG 01.02.1968
THOMAS MORGAN EVANS 20.11.1969 - 1982
BERTRAM WHESTON 1982 - 1995
MICHAEL EDWARD ANNISON THACKER &
TIMOTHY THACKER
1995 - 1998

     
  Mr. R. E. Thompson and his wife Rebecca Louisa had married in Cape Town in 1893 and subsequently came to England. They took the Bath Hotel in 1902 and were there to 1906 when Mr. Thompson became manager of a hotel in Holloway, London. Mrs Thompson sued for divorce Wednesday 22nd January 1908 on grounds of cruelty and adultery. It was stated that, while in Cromer, she had been thrown down stairs and on another occasion Mr. Thompson had threatened to `do' for her. Other evidence that he had committed misconduct with his manageress was presented.
A decree nisi was granted.
 
  -  
  The Norfolk News of 16th January 1909 reported that the licence had been transferred from Mr. Roper to Mr. Palmer on Monday 11th January 1909. This change has not been observed to be in the licence register.  

 

 

 


The Promenade & Bath House, Cromer
c1910

FUNCTION MENU 1902
1902


Originally building was built c1814 and was used as a subscription reading room. Bathing facilities were added c1824.

Present building dates from 1836 when rebuilt following destruction by a storm.

As a bath house it was also the family home of school teacher Simeon Simons, until his death in 1867 when it was sold to Henry Rust.

The house was next owned by brewer and wine merchant James Chapman who, in 1872, converted the building into a hotel and added the western wing for use as a billiards room.

Morgans sales for 1960 were : -
107 barrels of beer &
51 spirits.

Closed 1999


Became a private dwelling by early 2000's and offered for sale in October 2018 for £1.2 million.