NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BLUE BELL HUNWORTH Index
THE GREEN HOLT HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
HOLT LICENCE REGISTERS 17th September 1789 & September 1794 and PS 28/6/1 to PS 28/12/1 (1878 - 1890)
MARCHIONESS OF LOTHIAN of Blickling
G.C. & F. KNIGHT of Stody 1950
.    
ANIMAL INNS By 2010
PENNY CHAPMAN From June 2014
BEN & SARAH HANDLEY June 2017
Licensees :
-  
JOHN PORTER here 17.09.1789 - 1794
-  
-  
RICHARD RUDD 1836
Robert ? RUDD 1839
JOHN WELTON
age 50 in 1851
& baker
1841 - 1868
Mrs CHARLOTTE WELTON
age 65 in 1869
1869
ROBERT BURGESS
& harness maker
1871 to 1883
JOHN HINSLEY
(also as Hensley)
05.05.1883
MARY ANN HINSLEY 06.03.1899
EDWARD GRAVELING
Age 39 in 1911
23.06.1902
WILLIAM VALENTINE ALLEN
& farmer at Lowes Farm
14.10.1932
ALFRED JAMES CLARKE 13.10.1950
RONALD FRANK THOMAS GIBBS 23.10.1953
JACK DOWSE 25.03.1955
ERNEST BOND 01.03.1957
-
-
SEAN & PENNY CHAPMAN June 2014
BEN HANDLEY
General manager
June 2017



Map ref : TG 0635
1994
July 1994
Sign showing Bluebells.


A flint cottage dating from the 17thC and recorded as an Alehouse.

Described in 1726 as a long rectangular building.
Including some acres of land, a barn & stables.

Jane - wife of John Porter was buried - April 5 1797

Shown on Faden's 1797 map.

Supplied as a freehouse by Steward & Patteson (for the first time) in the year November 1845 to November 1846.

Beer was served straight from the cellar until the first bar was installed in the 1970's.

Part of the Stody Estate .

2008
The sign in 2008.
Showing "Established 1836", but the Bell / Bluebell is named from at least 1789.
(The house is recorded as the BELL in 1789, 1836 and at later dates , but as the BLUEBELL in 1818, 1850 and at various other times to at least the 1990's)

Known as the HUNNY BELL and trading as such by 2008.

Closed early 2017.
To re-open July 2017 under new owners (leasehold).