NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SWAN INN METHWOLD Index
BROOKVILLE ROAD
STOKE ROAD
GRIMSHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED c1981
GRIMSHOE LICENCE REGISTERS taken 7th September 1789 & 15th September 1794
JAMES KING to 1813
JAMES KING (son) from 1813
VIPAN Offered for sale by the exors. of Thomas Vipan in 1837. Eight acres of land included and some cottages
BIDWELLS    
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
Licensees :
-  
SAMUEL WRIGHT 1789
ROBERT KING 1794
-  
-  
THOMAS FIRTH 1836
JOHN KIRCHEN 1839
WILLIAM TEDDER 1845
WILLIAM POOLEY
age 40 in 1851
1851 - 1854
WALTER GOODRICH 1856 - 1861
WILLIAM COLEMAN 1865
WILLIAM HARDY 1868 - 1883
Fine of 1s and 14s costs on Wednesday 27th September 1873 for permitting drunkenness on his premises on 23rd september.
JOHN HINNELS
as HENNELS 1885, HEMELS 1890
1885 - 1890
FREDERICK BALAAM 1891 - 1929
HENRY GATHERCOLE 1933 - 1937
FREDERICK WILLIAM BROWN by 1941 - 1956
FREDERICK HOLMES 02.05.1956 - 1970
KATHY & JOHN COLE 1970 - 1979
ALAN BIDWELL 1979 - 1981


With thanks to Clifford Flogdell for added information on the licensees.
See :-
METHWOLD INNS & INNKEEPERS
1836 to 1970
by Cliff Flogdell

© Cliff Flogdell 2003

Shown on Bryant's 1826 map.

In a will executed 31.08.1813 the property of James King deceased included the Swan at Methwold which was left to his son James King and in Downham Market, the Queens Head was left to his daughter Bridget (and her husband James Blackbourn)

It was reported 19th August 1826 that fire had entirely consumed the house, a barn, stable and other outbuildings on Sunday 7th August.  A sow and pigs, a boar and cow had perished in the flames.

Frequented during WWII by airmen from Methwold Aerodrome.
(A RAF base, equipped with Stirling, then Lancaster bombers)

Delicensed 1985