NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CONSTITUTION SPROWSTON index
140 CONSTITUTION HILL TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 2010
TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/1 to PS 9/8/3 (31 Aug 1872 - 1957) note:1887 to 1903 missing
transferred to NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER 09.11.1907 - PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (cover 1867 to 1965)
JOHN HOWARD of Sprowston
BULLARDS by 1903
WATNEY MANN   
.    
Licensees :
-
WILLIAM CAPES 11.10.1864
JOHN HOWARD by 1869
EDWARD RICHES 26.01.1878
Mrs ALICE RICHES by 1890
WALTER RICHES by 1892
ARTHUR PARKER by 1896
HERBERT JONAS LAKE
age 30 in 1901
by 1900
ROBERT WALTER PRATT by 1903
ELLEN ELIZA PRATT 06.06.1903
HENRY JEX 13.10.1908
WILLIAM JARMY 27.08.1910
Convicted 21.07.1928 on 2 cases of allowing drunkenness -
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention on each case.
Convicted 08.05.1931 - For selling out of hours -
Fine £3 or 28 days detention for selling out of hours.
CHARLES WILLIAM WICKS 20.10.1931
ROBERT JAMES COULTER 05.04.1939
ROSANNA COULTER 02.01.1940
ROSANNA GIDNEY (remarried ) by 1950
WILFRED SIDNEY CLARKE 14.02.1956
to at least 1965
-  
JOAN & JIM PARKER 1970 - 1975
-  

The Constitution - October 1987
1987

Address 1901 given as North Walsham Road.

The Eastern Evening News of 19th December 1933 announced that the house had been entirely newly built for Bullards.
It had been designed by architects Buckingham & Berry and built by R. G. Carter.

Damaged by enemy action during 27 - 29.04.1942.

Threatened with closure 1995, but survived to November 2010.
Conversion to private housing granted November 2012.

The sign - 1987


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1950 No 6 5 No
Pseudo 1930's <No! A real 1930's pub built 1933>
( replacing pub of earlier origin)
Internal division walls removed to make one large bar area.
Old `Off Sales' room incorporated into main area in 1983 to provide dart playing area.
A two storey building of `kiln bottom' bricks.
Semi-circular bay extending to full height and topped by `Turret' roof.
Brewers' Tudor timbering on side gable.
Round-topped doors surmounted by 3-course brick arches.
Section of bar covered with highly polished old one-penny pieces.
Open fireplace surrounded by `Delft' style tiles.