NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
PINEAPPLE TROWSE MILLGATE  Trowse Pineapple index
D index P index
BRACONDALE   FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1985
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER Volume 1 ( 1867 - 1894 )
FREEHOUSE    
FRANCIS HUMPHREY SPANTON by 1873
YOUNGS & Co 1878
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN to closure 05.04.1974 - as Watney Mann records ( Another source gives 23.06.1975 ? )
FREEHOUSE c1975 to May 1985 - Offered on 2 year lease December 1985
Licensees :
-  
? 1789
-  
-  
JOHN VINCE
( John Vance 1806 )
1806 - 1830
RICHARD JARVIS
age 69 in 1851
1834 - 1858
WILLIAM JARVIS
Age 26 in 1861
by 1859
FRANCIS HUMPHREY SPANTON
& farmer 1877
13.10.1868
WALTER HARRIS 19.10.1878
CHARLES EASTOE 30.09.1882
HENRY MEADOWS 11.02.1896
ALFRED JAMES CUBITT 28.12.1897
HARRIETT ELIZABETH CUBITT 09.05.1905
Convicted 15.05.1909 of permitting gaming.
Fine £1 plus 9/- costs - or 7 days detention.
WILLIAM JOSEPH PERRY 13.02.1911
EARL PERRY
( Died September 1971 )
06.01.1931
.Mrs KATIE PERRY to retirement
December 1971
-  
ANTHONY TUCKER c1981 - 1982
DAVID & ANN ASHWORTH
+
DAVID & MARGARET BROWN
From 1982

The Pineapple - c1985
c1985

As the PINEAPPLE & DROVERS INN 1830 & 1856
the DROVERS & PINEAPPLE 1839
As the DROVERS 1850

The PINE-APPLE when offered for sale by auction 11th June 1789. In excellent repair with two Acres ( more or less ) of rich fertile Garden Ground in High Condition, well planted with Fruit-trees.

Mr. Richard Jarvis, master of the Pineapple Tavern, married Miss Lydia Keeble of Wallingworth, Suffolk, on Tuesday 6th February 1834.

William Warnes, labourer of Ber Street Gates was summoned Tuesday 12th June 1866 by Lucy Jarvis, wife of William Jarvis, for using threatening and abusive language towards her.
Warnes was ordered to find two sureties of 5/- each and to enter into his own recognizances in the sum of 10/- to keep the peace for 6 months.

Licence removed to new premises 1882.

Closed for 6 months to reopen 8th October 1983
A stable block was converted into a restaurant during the closure.
The Stable Bistro maintained the old standing stalls and could accommodate up to 30 people.

An application for a disco/club licence was refused by the local council.

Popular on Saturday afternoons with Norwich City FC supporters on the way to the match at Carrow Road.

A sign reading ` Closed until further notice '
appeared on the door in May 1985.

Converted to offices by 1996

House No. 551 on 1845 Magistrates list.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1850's No 5 5 Yes
Interior walls demolished to create single large bar area.
Bar counter, matchboarding, cornice and fireplace are of historical or architectural note.
The period bar counter, possibly from the turn of the century, or earlier, comprised of diagonal matchboard panels divided by pilasters. High relief carving of pineapples on counter front.
Small back bar with carving and mirrors inset.
Leatherette covered benches with fluted supports, wooden benches, possibly 1920's.
Once a railway hotel with stabling attached, built shortly after the Great Eastern Railway was extended to Norwich. Railway station (Trowse - now closed) adjacent.
<Trowse Upper and Lower Junctions were opened in 1851 by the Eastern Union Railway, the Pineapple relocated to new premises in 1882 and Thorpe Station (Norwich) was opened by the GER in 1886>