NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN HOTEL WELLS next the Sea Index
BUTTLANDS
NR23 1EX
NORTH GREENHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE 01328 710209
NORTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 27/8/1 to PS 27/8/2 ( 1903 - 1975 )
SAMUEL ELLIS from 1831 LILIAN MAUD KITSON of Wells c1926
-    CROWN HOTEL Wells Ltd    
-    J. B. BUTCHER c1962
-    R. J. NICHOLAS c1972
ANN GLAZEBROOK by 1888 MINOTEL GROUP by 1989
JAMES ALEXANDER DAVIDSON from 1894 NICK & ANNE ANDERSON From June 2001
ETHEL MAUD GRAY HORD of Wells by 1903 CHRIS COUBROUGH ( FLYING KIWI INNS ) March 2003
Licensees :
SAMUEL ELLIS
( age 85 in 1851 )
1831 - 1851
JOHN MATTHEW WELLS 1854 - 1868
WILLIAM POMPEY GLAZEBROOK 1869 - 1883
Mrs ANNE GLAZEBROOK 1888 - 1892
JAMES ALEXANDER DAVIDSON 1894 - 1896
HENRY DAVID POULTER 1900
EDITH ROSE GRAY HORA by 1903
WILLIAM PERCIVAL JONES 03.12.1906
THOMAS CAMPBELL 04.11.1908
Edith Hora - manageress ( 1909 )
EDITH ROSE GRAY HORA 06.02.1911
GEORGE PINDER 03.05.1920
AMELIA KITSON 03.11.1924
LILIAN MAUD KITSON 01.03.1926
Fine of £1/10/- , plus 4/- costs, 02.04.1929 for selling out of hours.
Fine of £2/4/- , 04.02.1935 for selling whisky diluted with water.
WILFRED HENRY BEHN 06.09.1948
DONALD GILCHRIST SUTHERLAND 02.07.1956
WILFRED HENRY BEHN 03.07.1961
JOHN BENNETT BUCHER 05.03.1962
RONALD JOHN NICHOLAS 04.12.1972
-  
WILFRED FOYERS by 1998
NICK & ANNE ANDERSON June 2001
CHRIS COUBROUGH March 2003


Originally a boarding school, the frontage was added by the new owner, Samuel Ellis. The CROWN opened in 1831 as a hotel & meeting place.

The house is described as a Tudor building with a Georgian facade

Offered for sale by auction, Friday 9th May 1851, including a Billiard-room (then used as a meeting room for the magistrates), a Bowling Green with bar and public room and three arbours, and Garden Ground with hot-house and melon pit.

 In the GOOD PUB GUIDE 1998.

Renovations 2001 advertised to include renaming as :-
``Rococo's at the Crown''
and featuring the
``Jewel Bar & Brasserie''

Known as the CROWN from March 2003.