NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
HORSE SHOES WEST TOFTS Index
- GRIMSHOE HUNDRED BEERHOUSE CLOSED 1942
GRIMSHOE LICENCE REGISTER PS 14/5/1 (1926 - 1954) & THETFORD REGISTER PS 14/5/2 (1921 - 1962)
GILBERT W SUTTON of Great Baddow, Chelmsford.
BULLARDS Leased : Purchased 1925 for £900.
Licensees :
-  
HENRY BENNETT *1896
Mrs ANNA MARIA BENNETT *1900 - 1914
GEORGE SYMONDS by 1916
RONALD EUGENE JACKSON BELL 07.07.1934
DOUGLAS ARTHUR OLIVER BAKER 07.10.1942





Copyright Jennifer Davis - Image used with permission.
c1915 - A magnificent house.
Image shown with permission
© Jennifer Davis 2002


Beam above door dated 1583.

 


House known as the German Cottage when lived in by James Scott who was a carpenter and organ builder. In 1869 Scott is only recorded in the trades directory as an organ maker, no mention of beer. At the time of his death in 1871 he was recorded as a brewer. (The 1871 census records him as an imbecile. This condition was as a result of a serious head injury in 1867, which is possibly when Thomas Sayer arrived at the house, taking occupation by 1872.

Info thanks to David Secker

 


Known as "SAYERS" to 1890's

Also referenced as the FIVE HORSE SHOES

Whole village forcibly evacuated in 1942 to allow formation of battle training area.

Licence "In suspense'' 1942

 

West Tofts Horseshoe c1953 - Image supplied by Jennifer Davis
c1953
Evidence of damage apparent.
Image provided by Jennifer Davis.