NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CASTLE HOTEL WROXHAM Index
NORWICH ROAD
CASTLE INN STAITHE
TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED NOVEMBER 1996
 BLOFIELD, TAVERHAM & WALSHAM REGISTERS taken September 1789 and September 1794 &TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/1 to PS 9/8/3 (1872 to 1957)
note :  1887 to 1903 missing from records
WILLIAM ALLCOCK To June 1804.
COLTISHALL BREWERY Lot No 43 in sale by auction 14th - 17th September 1841
FREEHOUSE Supplied by Steward & Patteson during the years 1845 to 1846 and 1849 to 1850
Owned by Robert Blake Humfrey Esq. then between 1878 and 1887 by his widow, Caroline Blake Humfrey of Wroxham House.
BULLARDS by 1903
WATNEY MANN  
BRENT WALKER      
PHOENIX INNS offered for sale June 1996 - Closed by November 1996
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM ALCOCK / ALLCOCK 1789 - 1804
-  
-  
STEPHEN NEALE 1836
WILLIAM BELOE
Died 24th June 1857 - age 74
1841 - 1850
GEORGE ARTHURTON
Age 29
1851
WILLIAM CROWE
Went to Ludham SPREAD EAGLE
1854 - 1858
STEPHEN DAVY
Age 38 in 1861
1861 - 1864
JOHN BLACKWOOD by 11.1864 to 1876
HENRY ELLIS WRAGG 14.10.1876
Fine £2 plus £1/19/- costs, for permitting drunkenness - 13.01.1877
Fine £2 plus 19/- costs for selling out of hours - 14.04.1877
JOHN HORATIO FISH 26.01.1878
WILLIAM YOUNGS 16.04. 1881
EDWARD SMITH 27.10.1883
CHARLES READ 23.05.1885
THOMAS FISHER by 1892
to at least 1900
SYDNEY GEORGE SMITH
date not legible - 8th July .......?
(George S Smith 1904)
by 1904
ERNEST BULLARD 16.07.1910
EDMUND WOOLARD WILLIS 20.07.1912
RUSSELL TRUMAN LAKE 15.10.1938
JOHN ARTHUR BAILEY 14.11.1953
to at least 1957
-  
PAM & MALCOLM HOWARD 1970
-  



Offered for sale by auction Saturday 9th June 1804, then in the occupation of William Allcock, owner. Complete with good stables and other necessary outbuildings and approximately three acres of arable land. Also a tenement adjoining, then in occupation of ..... Mackerel.

Shown on Bryant's 1826 map.

Lot no 43 in sale by auction 14th to 17th September 1841 of the Coltishall Brewery.
Freehold sold to Mr. Unthank for the sum of £1,110.

Also given as the CASTLE INN

Mr. J. Blackwood announced 5th November 1864 that he had taken the Inn and offered Wines, Spirits, Cigars, &c., of the Best Quality.

 Destroyed by fire 2nd June 1910.
The thatched building building could not be saved since the single well could not produce sufficient water to extinguish the fire.
Landlord Sydney Smith was insured and he and his wife were able to rescue most of the furniture including a safe from an upstairs room.
One of their pets, a bird was saved, but their cat refused to leave the building and did not survive.

The licence was held by Bullards Brewery until the house was rebuilt, apparently re-opening in July 1912.