NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BOY & CUP NORWICH Index
POTTERGATE STREET
LOBSTER LANE
St. JOHN MADDERMARKET FULL LICENCE CLOSED
  WESTON St. Georges Brewery
YOUNGS & Co 1864
Licensees :
THOMAS BOCKENHAM (Buckenham ?)
hotpresser
1760 - 1764
JOHN BETTS 1806 - 1807
WILLIAM SLATER 1807
........... CROWLAND 1810
D. LAMB 1822
JAMES LEMON 1830 - 1839
JOHN ALDIS
(also as Aldiss)
1842 - 1846
WILLIAM TOWNSEND 1850
not found 1854
ROBERT ROOT 1856
CHRISTIAN ROOT
(Christiana Root 1859)
1859 - 1861
EDWARD RINGWOOD
Licence refused 19.08.1862
to 1862

 


Address as Pottergate Street in 1830
and as `Near Corn Exchange' 1845

Crouch Lane became School Lane?

Stood on the corner of Lobster Lane and Crouch Lane.
However Lobster Lane was shortened when the new Post Office Street (Exchange Street) was cut through and address would have become what is now Bedford Street. (by 1832)


Licence REFUSED at Sessions held 19th August 1862.
One of several houses where the licensee had been proceeded against during the year. The offences, for which summonses had been issued were either for selling beer out of hours, for allowing gambling or for permitting persons of bad character to assemble.

Purchased from the estate of Westons, St. Georges Brewery by Youngs & Co at auction Thursday 18th August 1864.

The premises were immediately put up for sale by Youngs & Crawshay as advertised in the Norfolk Chronicle of 3rd September 1864 (and not found again)