NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BAKERS ARMS THORPE HAMLET B index Thorpe Hamlet index
Bakers Arms index
66 St LEONARDS ROAD THORPE HAMLET FULL LICENCE CLOSED 2009
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 TO 1/8/4  ( 1867 - 1965 )
Mrs WATSON of North Walsham
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co by 1879
WATNEY MANN from 1967
COURAGE 17.01.1972
ENTERPRISE INNS by 2008 - Freehold for sale April 2009 at £225,000
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM FULCHER
( Full licence awarded 6th September 1861 - previously operating as a beerhouse)
 1861
Tuesday 25th September 1866 - Fine of 10s and costs for having house open at 11:30am on the previous Sunday for the sale of beer.
SUSAN FULCHER 10.10.1877
STEPHEN HUDBUD 14.08.1888
GEORGE ARTHUR BARBER 18.02.1890
ANTHONY JEREMIAH YALLOP 21.11.1893
WILLIAM HUSON 12.05.1908
EUPHEMIA HUSON 11.06.1918
WALTER JOHN HUSON 22.07.1919
Convicted 04.05.1921 of selling to a child in an unsealed vessel.
Fine 13/- or 7 days detention.
JOHN HENRY WILLIAM GUDGEON 19.07.1927
WILLIAM THOMAS BRETT 06.10.1942
CLIFFORD RUSSELL MOORE 01.01.1957
Convicted 15.11.1967 of selling out of hours.
Fine £5.
MALCOLM STANLEY HOWARD 26.04.1966
DAVID STACEY CHALLIN 03.06.1969
DAVID JOHN McLIVEEN 25.04.1978
EUGENE McCAFFEY 17.03.1981
STEVE FELTON 1999 -
02.03.2002
-  

 

The Bakers Arms - 1984
1984


Located on the corner of Saunders Road.

Mill Road 1861

Address as Gas House Hill 1864, 1865, 1875 & 1883.
Location also given as at Mousehold, including in S&P documents.

Licence renewed at Sessions held 19th August 1862.
One of several houses where the licensee had been proceeded against during the year. The offences, for which summonses had been issued were either for selling beer out of hours, for allowing gambling or for permitting persons of bad character to assemble.
( Exact offence at this house not mentioned in report. )

The Chief constable objected to the licence, as reported in the Norfolk Chronicle of 10.02.1906. The grounds were that the internal doors connected directly to the bakery. It was stated that objections would be withdrawn if structural alterations were stared on, or carried out, before the adjourned Brewster Sessions.

A fine example of Victorian etched glass was to be seen in the front door for many years. By 2000 it had been removed, to be mounted on an internal wall in a frame and safely displayed.

CLOSED April 2009

Planning application October 2009 to convert into house, with construction of 4 other houses on rest of site.


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
19th C No 5 4 No
Early Victorian - 1845
Used to have two separate rooms - now one with bar at back end.
Door with etched glass of `Bakers Arms'.
Friendly.
Medallion wallpaper
Pool table at back.