NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CARDINALS CAP NORWICH C index
86 St BENEDICTS STREET St . SWITHIN FULL LICENCE CLOSED
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
JACKSON as 1781 To Let advertisement.
CRAWSHAY 1845
YOUNGS & Co as given 1867 (Owned by Charles Crawshay as recorded 17.03.1888)
BULLARDS 1958
Licensees :
RICHARD HARPER
worsted weaver
1760
WILLIAM DEEPUP
flaxdresser
1763 - 1776
WILLIAM NOLLORTH 1822
WILLIAM NOLLER 1830
WILLIAM SPARROW 1836 - 1839
ANN SPARROW 1842
BENJAMIN WARMAN / WORMAN
age 44 in 1851
by 1845
GEORGE WALKER by 1856
THOMAS WALKER 14.06.1870
GEORGE WALKER 02.09.1870
THOMAS WILKINSON 03.11.1874
WILLIAM HELPS 10.10.1888
Convicted 02.05.1893 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 10/- plus 8/- costs
LOUISE CHARLOTTE HELPS 10.10.1911
JOHN CALVER 28.11.1922
Convicted 20.05.1924 of selling out of hours.
Fine £2 or 13 days detention.
OSCAR JOHN PLAYFORD 03.01.1928
AUBREY JOHN ATTOE 16.10.1934
ROBERT JAMES MIDDLETON 14.11.1839
EDITH ELLEN MIDDLETON 13.03.1956
ROBERT WILLIAM GEORGE MIDDLETON 08.05.1856
ALFRED THOMAS HARRIS 08.04.1958
PERCY SHEPHEARD 05.04.1960



The Norfolk Chronicle of 11th May 1776 advertised that
`William Deepup....... begs to inform his friends and the public that he sells the very best malt in great or small quantity....'

Offered To Lett immediately, 1st February 1781.
`Apply to Mr. Jackson's Brewing Office, Conisford.'

Also found as the CARDINALS HAT and in
1822, 1830 and 1836 as the CORONERS CAP.

At the Norwich Licensing Session held Friday 24th August 1900 there was objection to licence renewal owing to the rear of the premises sharing access with adjoining cottages and the shared access often being locked, preventing police communication with the back doors. Decision to be considered at another date, at the adjourned session.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

Bullards advised the Magistrates by letter dated 11.04.1960 that the house ceased trading 05.04.1960.

Licence held to 1963 when not renewed.