NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
COACHMAKERS ARMS NORWICH C index
Coachmakers Index
9 St. STEPHENS ROAD St STEPHEN FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/2 (1867 to 1925)
TOMPSON Assigned 25th March by Tompson Brothers to John & Walter Morgan - Leasehold premises.
MORGANS to 1961
STEWARD & PATTESON   
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY    
PHOENIX INNS As offered for sale June 1996
TARGER INNS May 2000
Licensees :
WILLIAM CLARY 1802 - 1810
WILLIAM CATER 1822 - 1836
WILLIAM SHELDRAKE
(White gives Skeldrick in 1845 , also found as Shildrake)
1839 - 1850
WILLIAM ARCHER
age 53 in 1851
1851 - 1854
ELIZABETH ARCHER
age 61 in 1856
1856
HENRY BIRD 1858
JAMES THURLING 1859 - 1865
JAMES BANHAM by 1867
JOSHUA THOMAS BANHAM 25.03.1890
WALTER JOHN ROBINSON 30.06.1891
WILLIAM HODDS 13.08.1895
SARAH HODDS 10.10.1898
Convicted 13.02.1900 of permitting drunkenness.
Fine 10/- plus 22/- costs or 7 days detention.
EDWARD CHARLES BULMAN 31.07.1900
ROSA SARAH PEEK 03.10.1916
HENRY PEEK 05.04.1919
ROSA SARAH PEEK 05.04.1922
ARTHUR WILLIAM HAMBLING 05.04.1929
Convicted 02.12.1932 of selling out of hours & failing to admit the police.
Fine £2 or 21 days detention on each case.
ERNEST FREDERICK STEWARD 19.06.1934
RUSSELL GEORGE PAGE 10.02.1953
DOUGLAS JOHN BETTS 10.10.1961
ALAN WEBSTER 10.06.1975
STEPHEN MILLS 22.11.1977
.GEORGE JAMES EDMUND,
MARK ROWLAND &
PAMELA ANNE ROWLAND
22.03.1983
MARK ROWLAND &
PAMELA ANNE ROWLAND
18.03.1986
RONALD FABRINI &
PATRICIA FABRINI
16.05.1989
JENNY & WILFRED LARTER 30.04.1991
MICHAEL JOHN LORENZ &
MARK JAMES HILL
28.09.1993
MICHAEL JOHN LORENZ &
DANIEL WILLIAMS
21.12.1993
MICHAEL JOHN LORENZ &
JAMES RODNEY HIRST
15.11.1994
ANDREW WALTER SCOTT &
BARRY FINNEY
14.02.1995
NIGEL BASIL, GWEN BASIL &
ROY PHILIP ABRAHAMS
11.06.1996
BARBARA CONSTANCE ROBERTS &
RICHARD JAMES BENTON
19.11.1996
LISA YVONNE JONES 12.01.1999
TREVOR MOYNIHAN 11.05.1999
ROY COLE & KAREN SWANN 01.10.1999
JOHN COLE 16.11.1999
ROY J COLE 06.2004

In need of cleaning! - November 2004 image by P. Bowden
The exterior features an elaborate relief, made from cement, depicting St Stephens Gate. Based on an illustration by Ninham dated 1792.

One of 36 Norwich houses opened for the reception of Voters in the interest of Mr. Windham and Mr. Coke on election day Thursday 13th November 1806. The name of the Hundred for which the house was appropriated was to be displayed at each house.

Morgans sales for 1960 were :-
114 barrels of beer
115 (gallons) of spirits.

Image by P. Bowden Nov 2004
November 2004 - image by P. Bowden

 

See page 12 of `Norwich In Old Postcards' , Vol 2 - Published 1989.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Mid19th C No 9 5 Yes
Internal walls demolished in early 1980's to create one single bar.
Fine facade with good period details.
Of particular interest is the cement panel by Moray Smith commissioned c1930 by Morgan's Brewery.
Interior has one large ground floor bar area with seating bays created by upholstered settees and cluster seating, low ceiling, mixture of beams and lincrusta, timber and brick pillared supports.
Seats, velvet cope curtains and low level wall lighting - All modern.
This used to be a Coaching Inn advantageously positioned just outside the City gates on the main London and Ipswich roads.