NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN NORWICH C index Lakenham index
Crown index
1 GOLDWELL ROAD LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE- CLOSED
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4  (1867 - 1965)
GEORGE AUGUSTUS JECKELLS First Licence - 1877
ELIJAH CROSIER BAILEY of Surrey Street - 1878
CANN & Co. Wymondham Brewery - 1884
MORGANS 1893
BULLARDS 1961
WATNEY MANN 1967
NORWICH BREWERY  
FREEHOUSE  
Licensees :
GEORGE AUGUST JECKELLS 1877
OWEN MURRELL 22.10.1877
JOHN BALDWIN 20.04.1880
ARTHUR ROBERT EMMS 21.01.1881
WILLIAM RICHARD DODMAN 29.09.1881
FREDERICK FIELD 30.06.1883
THOMAS HASTINGS GAGE 13.11.1883
JAMES LONG 07.04.1884
WILLIAM NEWTON 30.07.1884
STEPHEN MALLETT 24.03.1885
ROBERT JOHN WARD 26.01.1886
THOMAS WILLIAM WILKINSON 21.12.1886
CHARLES HENRY METCALF 16.07.1887
HENRY KEMP 24.12.1887
EDWARD FREEMAN DIMOCK 26.06.1888
MARY ELLEN BROOKS 27.07.1889
EDWARD HANWORTH 30.06.1891
WILLIAM THOMPSON 11.08.1891
STEPHEN WYATT 28.06.1892
WILLIAM CRACKNELL 22.07.1919
ARTHUR HERBERT McNAMEE 21.08.1945
ALBERT LESTER GOREHAM 15.11.1955
FRANCIS MURPHY 15.07.1958
DAVID LEONARD FROST 27.07.1961
Convicted 29.08.1962 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 12/6d on each of 8 cases.
BRIAN KENNETH UDEN 13.02.1968
LOUIS CLIFFORD SCARLETT 03.06.1969
RAYMOND PETER HARDY 10.10.1977
SUSAN DAVINA SMITH 25.11.1986
CHRISTOPHER JAMES TRUMAN 14.02.1989
DAVID BREEN-TURNER 01.10.1991
N. MITCHELL by 1997
KEITH ADAMS 06.2000

The Crown - Goldwell Road - 1987
1987

Original address was Kings Road or Kings Lane.

108 / 110 Goldwell Road in 1950

Morgans sales for 1960 were :-
126 barrels of beer
22 spirits.

Advertised for sale October 2000.

Closed for trading Sunday (evening) 16th December 2001.

Image by Charlie & George Ducker.
Image by Charlie & George Ducker

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1890's No 5 3 No
The Building Control plans are for a Public House and Bake Office.
The sign for the Bake office still exists on an external brick pilaster next to the main entrance. A painted pointing hand and lettering saying `To the Bake Office'.
Facade largely untouched since built.
Originally two small bar rooms but now one.
Mixture of matchboarding and paper on walls.
Typical sectionalised wooden beamed ceiling with painted lincrusta between.
Small rectangular wood panelled bar counter set in recess opposite door.
Furnishings and most fittings are modern.