NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DIAL NORWICH D Index
Dial Index
131 DEREHAM ROAD
OLD PALACE ROAD / Holl Lane
HEIGHAM BEERHOUSE to 1857
FULL LICENCE
CLOSED 27.05.1992
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
Licensees :
JONATHAN BURDETT from 1855
SAMUEL HENRY RUSSELL 11.05.1869
JOSEPH MACE 05.10.1870
JOHN TENCH 30.01.1872
GEORGE GREEN 10.10.1881
JOSEPH FIELD 15.11.1898
GEORGE ARTHUR FIELD 05.04.1907
ARTHUR HENRY SMITH 12.10.1909
WILLIAM THOMAS CHEESEMAN 06.04.1915
Convicted 29.05.1916 of failing to close against soldiers.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
HENRIETTA CHEESEMAN 25.08.1925
Convicted 04.02.1927 of selling out of hours.
Fine £2 or 21 days detention.
CHARLES EDMUND SMITHERS 10.05.1927
REGINALD JOHN PILGRIM 08.02.1966
Mrs PAULINE PILGRIM 24.11.1970
BERNARD CANHAM by 1972
BALLS & SMITH March 1992



1985
1985 - the entrance porch just added.

Application for new ( full ) licence applied for by Jonathan Burdett,  28th August 1855. Refused, .

Application for full licence made Tuesday 2nd September 1856 by Jonathan Burdett - Refused.

Jonathan Burdett successfully applied for a new ( full ) licence 1st September 1857.

Destroyed by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

February 1948
The hut - 1948.

Trading restarted in a wooden hut.
The house was rebuilt and opened 1955.

Closed 27th May 1992 and became a car audio shop.


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1950's No 5 1 No
Three rooms, bar, lounge and retail.
Modern fittings throughout.