NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DUN COW NORWICH D Index COW index
Dun Cow index
167 OAK STREET St. MARTIN AT OAK BEERHOUSE CLOSED 24.05.1971
   NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4  ( 1867 - 1965 )
St. MARTINS BREWERY Advertised for sale 11th October 1794, a leasehold property, including a Capital Malt House in Fullers Hole, 60 comb steep.
The MAYOR, ALDERMAN & CITIZENS of Norwich Leasehold to Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co by 11/1848, having been previously supplied by them as a freehouse.
STEWARD & PATTESON Owned by Steward & Patteson from 30.05.1951.
WATNEY MANN 1967
Licensees :
JOHN CLAXTON
& farmer
1806 - 1807
SAMUEL KERSEY 1810
WILLIAM HUMPHRIES 1839
CLARE MIDDLETON 1842 - 1845
CHARLES STUBBS
age 33
& poulterer
* 1851
RICHARD MACKLEY
Dealer in birds
1854 - 1859
SAMUEL SMITH by 1861
MARY ANN SMITH 24.06.1890
WILLIAM SMITH 09.10.1897
JOHN THOMAS WALKER 06.09.1932
ERNEST ARTHUR PLUNKETT 08.02.1938
CHARLES STUART DOUGLAS 11.06.1940
RALPH REGINALD CULLUM 09.10.1951
WILLIAM GATT 21.07.1959
WALTER ARTHUR FREDERICK HALL 29.12.1959
ERNEST ARTHUR PLUNKETT 08.02.1938
CHARLES STUART DOUGLAS 11.06.1940
RALPH REGINALD CULLUM 09.10.1951
WILLIAM GATT 21.07.1959
WALTER ARTHUR FREDERICK HALL 29.12.1959


Referenced as the ORIGINAL DUN COW 1842, 1850 & 1859

William Smith, who was living at the Dun Cow, was charged Tuesday 11th February 1862 of having savagely assaulted licensee Samuel Smith. Mrs. Smith appeared before the magistrates since her husband Samuel was too seriously injured to attend. She advised the Bench that her husband wished to withdraw the charges. With no option but to dismiss the prisoner, the Mayor commented that it was the sixteenth time that William Smith had been before them and looking at the black list of imprisonments, he thought his character was as bad as it could be.

Licence referred to Compensation 09.03.1905, but the decision was taken to renew the licence.

At the 1906 Sessions there was an objection to the licence on the grounds that there was internal access with ( an adjoining ) shop.
Since the premises were owned by the Norwich Corporation and a majority of the Justices gathered were connected to that body, the matter was adjourned.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

Closed by Watney Mann ( East Anglia ) Ltd 24.05.1971.

Sales in final year of trading were :-
66 barrels of beer plus
34 ( barrels ) of bottled beer.