NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FREEMASONS ARMS NORWICH F index New Lakenham
Masons index
27 HALL ROAD NEW LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE See BILLY BLUELIGHT
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
FREE TRADE to 1853 - First supplied as a Freehouse by Steward & Patteson from year commencing November 1850
MORGANS Purchased 15th October 1853 from Mr. Cardinal Wolsey ( Also found listed as C. Woolsey )
BULLARDS 1961
WATNEY MANN    
COURAGE from 20.01.1972
WOODFORDES from September 1994 - Renamed the BILLY BLUELIGHT
DECLAN LOHAN From March 2005 - Renamed the FREEMASONS ARMS
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM CUSHING 1822
MATTHEW CLARKE 1830
HENRY KETT 1836
DANIEL DEANE 1839
PHILIP PALMER 1842 - 1846
C  WOOLSEY 1854
JOHN SANDS 1856 - 1859
ROBERT CARVER 1864
J. WYATT 1865
HENRY WALLER by 1867
JOHN CRANCHER 11.06.1872
JAMES REEVE 29.10.1873
RICHARD ROBINSON 20.04.1874
FRANCIS BELL 10.10.1874
THOMAS WRIGHT 04.06.1875
SAMUEL FORDER 02.04.1878
GEORGE LACEY 10.10.1879
JOHN NOBLE 30.03.1880
JOHN NICHOLS 01.10.1880
GEORGE JOSEPH RYE 17.11.1885
ERNEST TUBBY 07.05.1912
JAMES WALTER WEST 22.11.1932
WILFRED RUSSELL PATRICK 10.10.1950
GEORGE WILLIAM QUINN 13.05.1952
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE 14.06.1955
NORMAN DUNHILL 03.01.1956
JOSEPH EDWARD ROACH 01.01.1957
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE 10.06.1958
JOHN WHITEHOUSE 18.11.1958
ARTHUR ALFRED WELLS 17.11.1959
FREDERICK ARTHUR SAMUEL DAYNES 20.07.1965
DAISY DAYNES 11.1965
ALFRED HARRY LAMBERT 01.1967
DAVID WELHAM 1984 to 01.1994
-  
MARK KEENAN ( 16.12.2004 )
SIMON WHITE
manager
April 2014

1984
1984

Original house was situated in Hobart Place.
Rebuilt in 1800's on what is today Hall Road, with a Smoke Room later added in approximately the same position as the original house.


A meeting of the Society of the Friends of the People took place at the FREEMASONS TAVERN, Saturday 15th March 1794. Colonel Macleod M.P. being in the Chair. The Pamphlet `Peace and Reform against War and Corruption' was unanimously recommended by the Society for perusal.

Address as Lakenham Hall Road in 1839,
City Road in 1845 and as
Southwell Road in 1854.

Offered To Let October 1873 - Apply Morgans & Co., King Street Old Brewery, Norwich.

Morgans sales for 1960 given as :-
139 barrels of beer
20 spirits.

Closed September 1994 and reopened as the
BILLY BLUELIGHT November 1994 under Woodfordes ownership.

Sold by Woodfordes 2005 and reverted back to the
FREEMASONS ARMS by March 2005.


~

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Mid 19th C No 5 3 No
Alterations to ground floor facade in late 19th C.
Alteration to interior to form single bar room from original two rooms.
Interior generally modern from 1950's with the exception of the original cornice.
One `L' shaped bar room with `L' shaped bar, wood panelled with wrought iron glass holder above.
Hessian wallpaper, patterned carpet, Formica topped tables and leatherette covered benches.