NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GOLDEN CAN NORWICH G index
Golden Can index
26 MIDDLE STREET
90 St. GEORGE STREET
St. GEORGE COLEGATE - DESTROYED 1942
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/3 ( 1867 - 1953 )
CRAWSHAY as given 1845
YOUNGS & Co as given 1867 to 1942
Licensees :
JOHN CALLOW 1830
HANNAH CALLOW
age 72 in 1851
1836 - 1854
CHARLES MILNES 1856
B HOWLETT 1858
F PEEL 1859
uninhabited 1861
JOHN BRIGGS 1864
JOHN WALKER by 1865
HANNAH WALKER 13.10.1868
JOSEPH ROUT 25.11.1873
AMELIA ROUT 29.06.1875
Convicted 13.01.1876 of allowing consumption out of hours.
fine 5/- plus 17/6d costs or 7 days detention.
JOHN CAWDRON 17.08.1876
WILLIAM MURRELL 09.03.1877
JAMES BATLEY 24.06.1879
JAMES EDWARD HILL 24.06.1882
CHARLES JOHN BEALES 03.10.1884
GEORGE ROBERT BUSSEY 10.10.1901
JOSEPH DOUSE 14.01.1908
HENRY CHARLES GARDNER 15.06.1909
JOSEPH DOUCE 05.04.1910
GEORGE WILLIAM LOVEDAY BROWN 05.05.1914
EMILY ALICE BROWN 04.02.1916
GEORGE WILLIAM BROWN 13.06.1916
EMILY ALICE BROWN 20.11.1917
GEORGE WILLIAM BROWN 13.05.1919
ARTHUR WALTER HOOPER 06.09.1932
PERCY SHEPHEARD 14.07.1942

The Golden Can by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
12.10.1937
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002

Address as Guildengate Street in 1842, 1865 & 1869.
At Alms Lane 1845.
90 St Georges Street from 1904.

Stood on the corner of St. Georges Street and Alms Lane.

Described 17th March 1888 as the property of Charles Crawshay.

On Thursday 9th February 1905 the Chief Constable objected to licence renewal owing to the back doors opening into enclosed yards common to other tenements.

Destroyed by enemy action April 1942.
The customs officer confirmed 01.10.1942 that the house not reopened.
The name was only ``recently and finally removed from the Licensing Register'' according to a report dated 23.11.1966.

 

House No. 387 on 1845 Magistrates list.