NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GRIFFIN NORWICH B index G index
Backs index Griffin index
64/66 PRINCE OF WALES ROAD St. PETER PERMOUNTERGATE FULL LICENCE CLOSED January 1983
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/3 ( 1867 - 1953 )
PHILIP BACK by 1898
PHILIP EDWARD BACK 1900
BACKS Ltd. 09.01.1932
HENEKEYS of London 15.03.1952
TRUMAN 1970
WATNEY MANN by time of closure 1983
Licensees :
PHILIP BACK 22.09.1898
PHILIP EDWARD BACK 24.08.1900
PHILIP GLANDFORD BACK 12.02.1929
( given to at least 1952 )
-  



At the Annual Licensing Meeting 28th August 1866, Mr. Philip Back, Wine Merchant, applied for a licence for this `very small house, only intended for a counter trade, and not for the consumption of drink on the premises as in ordinary public-houses. Granted.
Address then 20 Prince of Wales Road

~

Full licence granted 1898 upon surrender of the licence for the GRIFFIN , Tombland and relocation to 64 Prince of Wales Road.

Known as BACKS for much of its time.

Very popular in the early 1970's.

The name GRIFFIN was promoted in the mid to late 1970's.