NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GREEN MAN NORWICH G index
Green Man index
131 KING STREET St. JULIAN FULL LICENCE CLOSED 31.12.1921
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/2  ( 1867 - 1925 )
JACKSON  King Street. 
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward
Licensees :
JOHN VALE 1760 - 1762
JANE VALE
widow
1763 - 1764
QUARTERS METERS 1783
JAMES FIDDY 1806 - 1810
JOHN SMITH 1822
JOHN HARPER SMITH
waterman 1841 - age 45 - living next to Green Man Yard
1830 - 1839
THOMAS GOOCH
died Q1 1851 ?
1842 - 1846
ROBERT SMITH
& tailor - age 26
1851
HENRY HOWARD 1854
GEORGE ALLMAN
age 45
( recorded 1856 as a cordwainer living in King Street )
1861
WILLIAM FRANCIS
House named Sportsman 1868
by 1863
Accused 30.08.1865 of being open out of hours on the previous Sunday.
Fine of 5s and 11s costs.
SAMUEL BETTS
( age 34 in 1871 - Waterman and address as next to Half Moon Yard - But appears  in licence registers at Green Man from 1870 to 1876 ) House named Sportsman 1872 
14.10.1870
MARY ANN FRANCIS
( age 45 in 1871 and address  as King Street. 
9 lodgers on premises suggests that she continued living at the Green Man after William Francis had gone but did not take on the licence until 1876. Members of the Betts family are given as lodgers in 1881 and Mrs M A Francis is said to be 48 years old )
27.06.1876
JOHN GIRDLESTONE 21.10.1884
ROBERT COLLETT 09.02.1886
WILLIAM ROSE 25.02.1886
WILLIAM HORATIO NELSON
age 49 in 1891
12.10.1886
Mrs ANN NELSON 16.02.1892
ANN VINCE
( Henry Vince given 1904 & 1908 - apparently died Q1 1914 )
( Mrs Vince left for domestic reasons 1913 according to Licence Registers )
24.04.1903
GEORGE THOMAS NELSON 19.08.1913

The Green Man by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
16.08.1936
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002

Title deeds dated 26th March 1765 confirm that the property was owned by Anne Hainsworth, widow of the City of Norwich and conveyed at that time to Isaac Jackson.
The location given as Conisford Street and that the Southwest Great Gate formed part of the boundary. The property included two stables and Coach house thereunto or adjoining.

Offered To Let 10th December 1778 - Enquire of Mr. Jackson's Brewing Office, in Conisford.

Offered to Let with immediate entry 22nd September 1781. Enquire of Mr. Jacksons Brewing Office.

Again to Let 14th May 1784 - Enquire of Mr. William Fitt, All Saints, Norwich.

As the GREEN MAN when offered for sale 12th May 1788.
Lot 3 - Then the property of the late Isaac Jackson.
Described as `with Barbers Shop adjoining'.

At the sessions held Monday 21st May 1864, Mary Ann Francis accused Elizabeth Howlett of assault.
The magistrates viewed this as a case of jealousy between the two parties and dismissed the case.

Apparently known as the SPORTSMAN 1868 & 1872

Licence provisionally refused 08.02.1921 and referred to Compensation.
Closed under Compensation 31.12.1921.

Property sold 1930.

Demolished after 1937.

House No. 13 on 1845 Magistrates list