NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
KINGS ARMS NORWICH K index
Kings Arms
8 BER STREET St. JOHN TIMBERHILL FULL LICENCE CLOSED 01.05.1968
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
MORSE & ADAMS In occupation October 1808
SEAMAN & Co Owners 1854
STEWARD & PATTESON Yearly Tenants under notice to quit - August 1866
WILLIAM BULLARD by 1867
BULLARDS 1884
FREEHOUSE  
Licensees :
-
GUY THOMPSON 1810 - 1811
J. THOMPSON or ISAAC BULL
(See 174 Ber Street)
1822
JAMES CARVER
Bankrupt August 1836.
1830 - 1836
FRANCIS HUMPHREY SPANTON
& Coal Merchant
(Went to Bell Inn)
1839 - 1849
THOMAS GREEN
age 29
1850 - 1851
Mrs HILLMAN
Died approx April 1853
to 1853
JOHN HILLMAN 1853 - 1854
WILLIAM ELVISH
(At Post Office Tavern to 1853)
to December 1854
FRANCIS HUMPHREY SPANTON
(At Bell Inn in 1851 - 1854)
1856 - 1865
WILLIAM BULLARD by 1867
AMELIA BULLARD 05.01.1875
ALFRED THROWER
& horse trainer
22.09.1880
ELIZA JANE THROWER &
GERTRUDE GEORGINA ROSE THROWER
10.10.1890
EDWARD DUGDALE 18.12.1900
ELIZABETH DUGDALE 13.01.1920
HARRY JAMES ROBERT WARD 03.02.1920
Convicted 03.02.1920 of failing to admit police.
Fine £2 or 21 days detention.
SYDNEY HERBERT MERTON 25.08.1925
Convicted 20.04.1926 of permitting gaming.
Fine £5 or 21 days detention.
FRED TYE 27.05.1930
WILLIAM ROBERTS 26.05.1931
JAMES EDWARD HAWKINS 18.10.1932
Convicted 12.04.1933 on 2 cases of selling out of hours.
Fine 5/- or 5 days detention on each case.
FRANK SECCULL 25.07.1933
GEORGE HENRY FRENCH 02.05.1944
Convicted 13.04.1950 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £2 on each of 2 cases
ALMA JOHN HIPPERSON 29.08.1950
ROBERT WILLIAM MILES 25.08.1953
ARTHUR FRANK BEALES 09.06.1964


In Occupation of Messrs., Morse & Adams, or their undertenant, in October 1808 when Lot 10 in sale of property of Thomas Allday Kerrison, bankrupt.

Francis Spanton went to the BELL INN January 1850.

Thomas Green, 15 years servant to Robert B. Humfrey Esq. and the late Reverend John Humfrey of Wroxham House, informed the Public October 1850, that he had entered the Inn.
Foreign Wines and Spirits.
Truman, Hanbury & Co's Stout and fine Ales were available in Draught or Bottle.

Offered to Let May 1853 in consequence of the decease of Mrs. Hillman - Apply to John Hillman on the premises.

Offered to let with immediate possession December 1854 owing to the death of Mr. William Elvish. Apply to Mr. Seaman, Wine Merchant, Norwich.

The Effects of Mr. Elvish were offered for sale, on the premises,  by auction 28th February 1855.
Included were chairs, tables, feather beds, mattresses, bedding, chests of drawers, barometer with dial clock, carpets, looking glasses, fenders, fire irons, bagatelle board, several bedsteads and hangings, nearly new, blankets, pictures, prints. Also Implements in Trade, several dozen pewter, quart and pint pots, porter, liquor and wine glasses, spirit measures, earthen quarts and pints, gallon and half gallon cans, funnels, spittoons, keelers, glass decanters, earthenware, &c. And Out-door Effects of Two superior roan and black ponies (very fast), two excellent cad-gigs and dog-cart (nearly new) two sets of harness, wheelbarrow, stable implements, &c.

Francis Spanton thanked his friends and the public August 1861, for the patronage he had received for the previous 23 years and stated that he had hired the same ground at Yarmouth Races where Luncheon and the best of articles would be supplied.

At the Annual Licensing Meeting 28th August 1866 William Holmes applied for a new licence for a building built on premises already belonging to the Kings Arms. The house had been built at a cost of £450 and the intention was to replace the old dilapidated house, once the new licence was granted. The new licence would not be used until he had dropped the old one. Steward & Patteson objected and the magistrates refused the application.

Alfred Thrower applied, on Monday 24th August 1891, for a music and singing licence for the accommodation of the members of the musical society, which had used the house for ten years. Granted.

Damaged by enemy action 27.05.1942

Closed May 1968.

House No. 82 on 1845 Magistrates list.