NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
MORGANS NORWICH Brewery index
M  index
97 KING STREET
The Transport Department 1948

R. Meadows, W Hughes, R Buckle, R Pope, T Lovewell, S Alden,
 R Abbs, F Webb, E Howes, H Bardwell, G Ardley, T Bosworth, 
L Sheppard, C Curl, R Allen, C Stolworthy,  A Skeet, A Smith,
 G Cannell, H Bawden, A Houlston, J Murrell, H Mason, 
W Houlston, E Read, J Miller, T Houghton, H Snowling, R Dewing, 
A Dixon, A Watling, A Marshall, A Brighton & S. Digman.
The CONISFORD BREWERY was owned by John Barnard in 1563.
This was later owned by the Allen family who in turn sold to
Edward Tompson in 1660.
Stackhouse Tompson is given at 49 King Street in 1783
Timothy Tompson 1811
Charles Tompson 1830
Tompson Brothers 1842
The brewery remained with the Tompson family until sold in 1844
by Charles Kett Tompson and Henry Kett Tompson
to John Brandram Morgan, who was in occupation from 1845.
The sale included 54 public houses.

Walter Morgan was found `drowned in a Gyle Vat' 8th March 1845.
His body had been discovered at 11:00 am and the inquest took place that same afternoon.
It was suggested that Mr. Morgan had been overcome with fumes and had fallen into the vat.
At about 1:00pm Mr. Chater, surgeon, had made an incision into the jugular vein and five or six ounces of liquid blood flowed, but had no effect on the deceased.
Artificial Respiration was then tried, and as a last resource, powerful Electro magnetic apparatus was applied, all to no effect.


John B Morgan & Henry Morgan 1850 - 1868

Morgan & Co 1879


Trading as the Old Kings Street Brewery, Established 1720,
the operation was registered as a Limited Company March 1887.
188 public houses were controlled at this time, 106 of them being owned.
The brewery site comprised some 2¼ acres.

Huddlestones Chatteris Brewery was taken over in 1889
Bourke & Ewles of Grimston in 1890
The Wymondham Brewery of William Cann & Co was taken over 11th May 1894 for the sum of £129,000
In 1896 the Letheringsett Brewery of Cozens-Hardy & Sons was added to the estate
and the Elijah Eyre Lady Bridge Brewery followed in 1900.
( The Eyres brewery continued in production and the Eyres name was maintained )

Some 600 houses were in the estate, either owned or leased by 1904

1907 billhead records branches at Chatteris, Ely, Fakenham, Grimston, Kings Lynn, Holt, Letheringsett,
 Spalding. Loddon, North Walsham, Peterborough, Stalham, Watton, Wisbech, Wymondham & Gt Yarmouth.

The Lowestoft Brewery of E & G Morse ( Edgar & Gilbert ) was added to the estate in 1936.
In 1952 the Trunch Brewery with 9 houses was the last expansion.

Severely damaged by bombing 27th June 1942, brewing was transferred to the old Elijah Eyres Brewery at Kings Lynn.
The other Norwich breweries assisted production even though they were rivals.
Re-built 1946-7 the Norwich brewery was back in production in 1950.

Went into Voluntary Liquidation 29th September 1961
and the houses were taken over jointly by Bullards and Steward & Patteson by prior agreement.
It is recorded that the houses had been divided between the two companies by the cutting of a deck of playing cards. ( As reported in the Eastern Daily Press 1st November 1974 )

In a letter dated 26th May 1961, from Julian Crawshay to Sir Edward Bullard
it was reported that the initial split of Morgans houses was some 1000 barrels per annum
in favour of Steward & Patteson.....`but may be swaps later...'

At the time of liquidation, Morgans Brewery controlled 450 tied houses.

The brewery was sold to Watney Mann in August 1961 and brewing was back in operation by April 1962.

~


The brewery was demolished in the winter of 1989 - except for one building.