NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
POPES HEAD NORWICH P index
St PETERS STREET
UPPER MARKET STREET
St. PETER MANCROFT   CLOSED 30.12.1912
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 - 1925 )
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward.
Licensees :
-  
JAMES CARVER 1743
-  
JAMES CORNWALL 1760 - 1764
THOMAS GOOCH 1783 - 1802
GEORGE WARTERS 1810
WILLIAM COLDHAM
age 60 in 1841
1820 - 1845
JOHN SNOWLING
age 35 in 1851
1850 - 1851
WILLIAM BROWNSELL 1854 - 1859
ROBERT LOVEDAY by * 1861
Accused 27.05.1866 of being open out of hours.
EDWARD LOVEDAY 11.10.1880
Convicted 10.03.1881 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 10/- plus 17/6d costs or 7 days detention.
FREDERICK WILLIAM FAULKENER
( absconded )
30.06.1891
( CHARLES CARVER COOPER )
Not found in Licence Register
( given 1892
- 1900 )
JAMES RICHARD TIBBENHAM 05.04.1904


House no. 152 on 1845 Magistrates list

House dated back to 1500's.

Mentioned in trial of ( Royalist ) rioters 1648
following blowing up of the Committee House in Bethel Street.

The theft of a horse from this establishment was reported 19th March 1743 - House then occupied by Mr. Carver.

One of 40 houses named as being engaged for the Reception of Freeholders for Sir John Woodhouse and Sir Edward Astley's Friends on the Day of Election, Wednesday 14th April 1784.

Henry Wright and George Russell were charged Saturday 15th January 1820 of attempting to pass a forged one-pound note to Mr. Coldham, master of the Pope's Head Inn.

Location given as next to the BEEHIVE
Address in 1836 given as 12 Upper Market street.

Licence provisionally refused 06.03.1912 and referred for Compensation.

Closed under Compensation 30.12.1912.

Demolished 1935 to make way for City Hall.