NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
TEN BELLS NORWICH T index
74 - 78 St BENEDICTS STREET St SWITHIN FULL LICENCE  
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
GELDESTON BREWERY to 1858 - Purchased by Mr. Bocking for £600 at auction Wednesday 31st March 1858
HENRY BROWN by 1867
HENRY GEORGE BROWNE 1898
E. LACON & Co 1925    ( Whitbread take-over of Lacons 19.11.1965 )
WHITBREAD Closed c1970
FREEHOUSE Reopened 1975
GREENE KING  
Licensees :
-
JOHN BRETT
worsted weaver
1760 - 1762
RICHARD KNIGHTS
worsted weaver
1763 - 1764
JAMES PLATTEN 1830
JOHN BROWNE 1836
EDMUND BROWNE 1839
EDWIN JOHNSON 1842
EDMUND BROWNE
age 50 in 1851
& printer / compositor
1845 - 1854
HENRY BROWNE
age 25 in 1856
& wood carver
by 1856
HENRY GEORGE BROWNE &
HENRY DAVY
22.08.1898
HENRY GEORGE BROWNE 09.02.1909
ALFRED ALBERT WRIGHT 06.10.1925
JOHN WOODHOUSE HOLDEN 05.02.1935
FRANCIS THOMAS PAVELEY 13.10.1936
HARRY BURGESS 31.08.1937
Closed for duration of the war as letter dated 01.10.1940.
Reopened 30.10.1944
DAVID WILLIAM WHITEMAN 12.07.1955
WILLIAM EDWARD COLLARD 21.08.1956
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 16.07.1957
JACK ARTHUR WOOLLARD 19.08.1958
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 30.08.1960
ERNEST ROBERT NUNN 16.05.1961
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 15.10.1963
LESLIE FENWICK 07.01.1964
ALFRED WILLIAM JOYCE 09.06.1964
JOHN WILLIAM JASPER 20.07.1965
GEORGE VICTOR NEVE 03.01.1967
CLIFFORD HARRY SILLIS
Brewery Representative
13.10.1970
RONALD JOHN BARKIN 20.04.1971
CLIFFORD HARRY SILLIS 05.09.1972
DEREK HOWARD 11.03.1975
GEORGE FRANK TOZER 04.01.1977
JAMES JOHNSON 25.04.1978
JAMES DOUGLAS JOHNSON &
DANIEL REES
15.05.1984
CLIVE RAINES & DANIEL REES 22.07.1986
BERNARD BURLING 14.10.1986
ALAN BOOTH 05.01.1988
LINDA PAYNE 06.09.1988
MARTIN MALCOLM WESTGATE-PEARCE 16.05.1989
Mrs JENNY POWELL & Mrs CONNIE BROADBENT 17.10.1996 
STUART LAIDLOW
manager
by 2011
-  
-  



1974 - Image by Agcach
02.04.1974


The Ten Bells - 27.04.1998
April 1998
 
Address as Ten Bells Lane in 1845.
As 78 St. Benedicts Street 1912 - 1937

6 day licence to 11.10.1960 when the 7 day licence of the BLACK EAGLE, 20 Rupert Street transferred.

Extended 1983 and 1984 - Benedict's Wine Bar added in what was an adjoining shop.

Extensively refurbished in early 1990's

 

1974 - Image by Agcach
Detail of the 1974 frontage.

`Rebranded ' the X BELLS June 2011

Gin Distillery operating from No 74 from late 2015

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1740's No 8 6 Yes
Interior modernised 1974
Shop next door acquired 1984 and incorporated.
Georgian brick facade. Probably timber frame underneath.
Glazed tiles to to corner and front at ground level.
Etched glass showing `Public Bar' and `Lacons Beers'.
One bar/lounge, modern fittings, interesting oddments.