NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WINDMILL NORWICH Hellesdon W Index
Windmill  Index
211 AYLSHAM ROAD
UPPER HELLESDON
TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co  
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN    
NORWICH BREWERY   
PHOENIX INNS  
..     
Licensees :
-  
HENRY JOLLY 1830
SAMUEL GREENFIELD 1836
JAMES WOODWARD
Died 3rd April 1844 - age 71
1839 - 1844
SUSANNAH WOODWARD 1845
BENJAMIN PRATT
age 38 in 1851
1850 - 1851
JOHN KNOPWOOD 1854 - 1856
Mr. PORRETT 1858
JOHN GRAVER
& butcher
1861
R PALMER 1865
SAMUEL TALLOWIN by 1867
JOHN HARDIMENT 22.01.1868
JOHN PRATT 08.12.1868
CHARLES WILLIAM CORY 02.10.1873
WILLIAM FULLER 10.10.1874
Convicted 25.08.1875 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £1 plus 17/6d costs
RUTH FULLER 29.03.1887
RICHARD WILSON
Age 61 in 1911
08.01.1889
ARTHUR CULLING WILSON
(Son of Richard Wilson)
10.06.1913
JAMES COMER 05.04.1933
ELEANOR COMER 13.02.1940
LESLIE JAMES COMER
(Son)
13.06.1950 - 1970+
BENJAMIN JOHN AMER 22.04.1975
RONALD ERNEST SPEARS 21.11.1978
DIANA & JEFFREY JENNINGS 14.06.1983
STUART MICHAEL BIZLEY 11.05.1999
ANDREW POND 14.09.1999
-  
-  


December 2010

As the MILL 1830
WINDMILLS 1842, 1845, 1850, 1865, 1897 & 1901
WIND MILLS 1888

Lot 2 in sale held Saturday 30th May 1835 upon the direction of the proprietor Mr. Howell along with properties in Norwich (St John Timberhill, Heigham, St Martin at Oak, St Peter Mancroft, St Gregory), Wymondham and Acle.
` With drinking boxes, large stables, gig-house and spacious yards and shed for the accommodation of stock.'

At St Faiths Road 1850

Part of frontage sold for road widening 1926
Timberwork to front of house dated 1927.


The sign - 1966

Threatened 1999 with demolition and site to be used as a superstore. Closed 18th March 1999 but later reopened.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1927 No 4 5 Yes
Date of 1927 and S&P shown in frieze.
Smoke Room extended c1965
Frosted glass on lower half of ground floor windows with S&P monogram.
A diorama of buildings, presumably those on original site.
Etched glass at top of doors.
1920's half panelling - stained oak.
Fitted benches.
Original oak bar but with new top surface.