NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE LION NORWICH W index
White Lion Index
106 St. BENEDICTS STREET St BENEDICT BEERHOUSE CLOSED by 10.02.1959
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
YOUNGS & Co by 1845 - Recorded as the property of John Youngs the Elder 17.03.1888
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS Freehold property sold by Youngs Partnership to Youngs Company for completion 01.02.1898
BULLARDS 1958
Licensees :
-  
-  
SAMUEL BROOK
carpenter
1760 - 1762
ZACHARIAH RICE 1783 - 1798
JOHN ELDRED 1806 - 1807
JOHN WRIGHT 1822
JAMES HEAD 1830
JAMES HOWARD
& hay and corn dealer
age 39 in 1841
1836 - 1842
WILLIAM PILCH April 1843
GEORGE LEATH
according to White
1845
HENRY JOLLY
as Magistrates list 1845.
Went to STAG
1845 - 1847
LUBBOCK LAWN
age 65 in 1851
1850 - 1854
GEORGE CROWE 1856
WILLIAM LAWN 1858 - 1865
EDWARD WIGG by 1867
JOSEPH SELF 04.04.1871
ELIZABETH SELF 10.10.1875
JOSEPH QUINNEY 17.02.1880
ROBERT LAMBERT 10.10.1894
HENRY COOPER 18.06.1901
CHARLES EDWARD TURNER 28.11.1911
HARRIET TURNER 19.11.1918
Convicted 26.03.1921 of selling out of hours.
Fine £1 or 7 days detention.
ALFRED EDWIN RICHARD BRIGHTON 11.10.1921
WALTER GRANT 22.11.1927
CHARLES HENRY COOK 22.11.1932
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRRELL 05.04.1933
JOHN CHARLES HUGGINS 23.05.1933
FRANCIS THOMAS PAVELEY 05.04.1941
Closed due to war damage
PERCY SHEPHEARD 14.07.1942
MURIEL EVELYN THOMPSON 21.08.1945
ERNEST WILLIAM FRANCIS PARNELL 07.04.1953
ARTHUR ALBERT CLARKE 17.11.1953
WALTER WILLIAM STEWARDSON 28.12.1954
PERCY SHEPHEARD 01.01.1957

 
One of 40 houses named as being engaged for the Reception of Freeholders for Sir John Woodhouse and Sir Edward Astley's Friends on the Day of Election, Wednesday 14th April 1784.

44 Upper Westwick Street in 1802.

For Sale or Let September 1812.
With stables for 50 horses and a large warehouse for carriers, well situated for business. Including a good kitchen, parlour, bar, an excellent dining room or club room, six good sleeping rooms, cellars, wash-house and other conveniences.
part of the premises may be converted into a brew-house for the brewing of ale and porter, table beer, &c.
Possession at Michaelmas.

William Pilch, late and may years of the GOLDEN LION, advised 1st April 1843 that he had taken the inn and had made great alterations to the same by making a Carriage-way up to lock-up Coach-houses and excellent Stables.
Well aired Beds were offered as were Cricket Bats and Balls.

Offered To Let with Immediate Possession 28th June 1845 and again 5th July 1845.
Stabling for 50 Horses included.

Music and singing licence granted Saturday 5th April 1941

Severely damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942 and closed.

Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs advised by letter dated 16.07.1945 that they intended to recommence trading from 21.08.1945.

Licence removed to the IRONMONGERS ARMS 10.02.1959