NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WOOLPACK NORWICH W index
Woolpack Index
2 MUSPOLE STREET St. GEORGE OF COLEGATE FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965 )
YOUNGS & Co property of John Youngs the Elder as recorded 17.03.1888
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
PHOENIX INNS  
  .  
Licensees :
WILLIAM AMEY 1760 - 1764
-  
JOHN SPINKS 1810
D. EMERY 1822
JAMES BARNES 1830
MARY BARNES by 1836 - 1865
WILLIAM BARNES by 1867
SAMUEL LAKE 04.10.1870
THOMAS POWLEY 25.03.1873
WILLIAM BARNES 18.12.1873
WILLIAM ATKINSON
( given as G Atkins 1877 )
06.01.1874
JOHN WOODCOCK 28.06.1881
MARK WARD 10.10.1892
WILLIAM JOINER 10.10.1899
MARIA JOINER 19.03.1901
WILLIAM EDWARD SKEDGE 23.10.1902
WILLIAM BURROWS 08.10.1907
HUGH CHARLES CALLENDER 13.10.1908
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRELL 09.02.1909
LEWIS SMITH 05.04.1909
Convicted 08.05.1914 of permitting drunkenness.
Fine £1 plus 9/- costs or 7 days detention.
JAMES WALLER 24.11.1914
Convicted 25.05.1916 of failing to close against soldiers.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
Convicted 15.09.1917 of selling out of hours.
Fine 30/- or 13 days detention.
CECIL MAY BOULTON 13.05.1924
KATHLEEN ELIZA BOULTON 08.05.1928
CECIL RALPH SMEE 10.05.1938
JACK ARNOLD PINK 05.04.1949
NIGEL ALBERT HARDINGHAM 08.03.1955
BERTRAM WALTER FIDDAMENT 12.03.1957
STANLEY HERBERT HARVEY 01.10.1957
JAMES MIDDLETON 07.10.1969
TERENCE WALTER CASEY 10.02.1976
SIDNEY BARRY DUFFIELD 23.11.1976
BARRY WILLIAM BROWNE 07.02.1978
TARA DOHERTY 12.06.1979
STEPHEN WEBSDALE 11.09.1984
RICHARD ALAN WALTER GRAY 10.09.1985
TERENCE JOHN DOWSON 24.11.1987
ANTHONY VICTOR JOHN SMITH 09.02.1988
MICHAEL BROWLER 19.02.1989
CLIVE CRANSTON 18.09.1990
ANTHONY BUNCE & LEON BANKS 08.01.1991
ANTHONY BUNCE & VELMAR ANN DAVIES 01.06.1993
PETER STAMP & STEPHEN JOHN BROWN 12.08.1997
ROBERT KNOWLES & KAREN MARKLEY 13.01.1998
ROBERT KNOWLES,  KAREN MARKLEY 
& PETER STAMP
10.02.1998
PETER GRAHAM STAMP & TINA MINNS 14.07.1998
DARREN LEE BURTON 15.08.2000
NICOLA & ROBERT MILLS 17.04.2001
SHANE DAVID MOORE 12.2007
RACHAEL LOUISE BOND 21.07.2008 to
14.08.2008
-  
MATT PEPLOW January 2011
-  

The Woolpack - 26.06.2000

Given as the WOOLPACKET 1760 & 1763

Stands on the site of the Augustinian Priory of Our Lady Walsingham.

Present house dates from 15thC.

Said once to have tunnel connecting to St. George's Church.

Advertised To Let - August 1870.

Closed for structural repairs September 2001,
to reopen 26th June 2002 as a
`Traditional family run freehouse'.

Closed September 2007........

Re-opened December 2007........

Closed 2008 - Opened 2009

Trading as The WOOLIE from June 2010

Trading as the OLD WOOLPACK by mid 2016 but closed by January 2017.

Re-opened by May 2017

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
18th C Yes 4 No
Three storey Georgian building with 19th C pub front.
Two fireplaces, probably old underneath.
Wood and mirrored 1960's bar fittings.
Cosy but not tasteful.
On this site stood the town house of the Augustinian Priory of Our Lady Walsingham, conveyed to John the Prior in 1298.
H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh visited here 1st July 1975.