NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ROSE & CROWN WYMONDHAM index
2 DAMGATE STREET
CHAPEL STREET
FOREHOE HUNDRED - CLOSED c1910
FOREHOE HUNDRED REGISTERS taken 12thSeptember 1794
JOHN DAY Lot No 14 in sale of St. Martins Brewery, Norwich as advertised 11th October 1794
JOHN PATTESON 1806
STEWARD & PATTESON Owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward as document dated 1837 to 1851
Licensees :
-
-  
THOMAS PALMER
(Rose & Crown)
1794
-  
DANIEL PATTLE 1822
JOSHUA POLL 1830
CHARLES BROWNE 1836
CHARLES COOKE 1839
JONATHAN SANT 1845
WILLIAM DOLMAN 1846
HORATIO NELSON 1850
EDWARD STEBBINGS
& umbrella maker.
1854 - 1858
ROBERT WELTON
(as Robert Wetson 1875)
* 1861 - 1877
Mrs C. WELTON 1879
THOMAS M. AMIS 1883
WILLIAM ROBERT BOWGEN
& plumber & glazier
1888 - 1909

Dated from the 16thC.

Known as LORD RODNEYS HEAD over the period 1789 to 1793.

Samuel Crows carriers carts departed from the Rose & Crown Terminus in 1836 (The corner of Damgate and Market Street)

It is reported that an unattended horse and cart crashed through the window in 1864.


Licence refused at Compensation Authority meetings of 21st and 23rd June 1909.
Reported as an alehouse, owned by Steward & Patteson Ltd and run by licensee W. R. Bowgen

Sold by S&P during 1911

By 1982 one part of the house was a Shoe Shop, the other a private dwelling.

See page 19 of `Wymondham in Times Past'.