NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
LOUIS MARCHESI NORWICH Index
17 TOMBLAND St. GEORGE TOMBLAND FULL LICENCE  -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/2 - 1/8/4 (1894 - 1965)
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY   
INNTREPRENEUR Grand Metropolitan - by 1990's
Licensees :
GERALD ATTOE from 1975
JOHN PAUL EDWARD ALDHAM 20.07.1976
JULIAN GREGORY ROUX
see opposite
19.10.1983
KEVIN JOHN KINGHAM &
DAVID FROOM
31.10.1989
TERENCE JOHN DOWSON &
SANDRA PORTER
09.07.1991
JOSOPHINE & MALCOLM McCANN 04.02.1992
MALCOLM McCANN 13.01.1998
SANDRA ROSENFIELD &
DARREN LEE BURTON
13.04.1999 
SANDRA ROSENFIELD &
PAUL CHRISTOPHER SCHRAM
15.06.1999
SANDRA ROSENFIELD &
HENRY ALEXANDER FERRY
07.03.2000
 
LISA ATKINS 06.2017

Image by Jack Roberts - via Eastern Evening News
c1976 image by Jack Roberts - via EEN

The WAGGON & HORSES to end of 1976

Renamed in honour of the founder of the Round Table Movement.

Julian and Rosemary Roux organised a "Drink the pub dry" event on their final Sunday of trading in October 1989. In conjunction with the UEA Students Union, the proceeds were to be donated to the Big C Cancer Appeal.

Leasehold for sale May 1990 - £110,000.

Reported December 1991 as having had a £30,000 refurbishment and renamed "The Louis"
The LOUIS' UNDERCROFT BAR advertised for hire (£40) in July 1992. (Said to be part of the underground system which once connected to the cathedral).

Closed February 2004 to reopen as the

TAKE FIVE CAFE & BAR


....... But back to the LOUIS MARCHESI June 2017

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
15th to 20th C No 4 4 No
Extensive alterations in 1970's to make one bar serving distinct front and rear areas.
Fine vaulted cellars dating from 15th C.
Rear of building dates from 1700 with exposed beams and large open brick fireplace.
Front of building is believed to be earlier but covered by an early 20th C false timbered facade.
Comfortable modernised city pub retaining some original features.