NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
QUEENS HEAD HOTEL ACLE Index
THE STREET WALSHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 18.09.1975
BLOFIELD, TAVERHAM & WALSHAM REGISTERS taken September 1789 and September 1794 & BLOFIELD & WALSHAM LICENCE REGISTERS PS 8/6/1 - PS8/6/4 ( 1872 - 1973 )
GELDESTON BREWERY Offered for sale by Geldeston Brewery 1858
CHARLES HINCHCLIFF to at least 1869
SUSAN HINCHCLIFFE of Acle by 1875
BULLARDS 21.08.1899
WATNEY MANN to 1975
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM GRIFFITHS to October 1780
JOHN COOPER
( deceased, late master of the Queens Head Tavern, May 1782 )
undated
............. BIRT 1786
JOSEPH BIRT 1789 - 1803
JOHN NEWSTEAD by 1812 to 1816?
ROBERT ENGLAND 1832 - 1836
SARAH COX
age 50
( George England living at house, age 15 )
1841
GEORGE ENGLAND 1845 - 1850
FREDERICK REEVE ( age 16 )
Head & innkeeper in absence of brother.
* 1851
CHARLES REEVE 1854
EDWARD SAUL 1856
CHARLES HINCHCLIFFE
age 36 in 1861
1858 - 1863
GEORGE BILSDON 1864 - 1865
GEORGE MASON 1869 - 1872
SUSAN HINCHCLIFFE 1875 to 1881
WILLIAM PEARCE 21.11.1881
HARRIET PEARCE 12.11.1888
WILLIAM PEARCE 27.01.1896
EDWARD COLE 10.09.1907
ARTHUR ALBERT WARNER 09.09.1907
GEORGE ALFRED BECK 04.05.1908
Fine £2 plus 4/- costs or 1 Month detention for
permitting drunkenness - 31.01.1911
ERNEST BULLARD 22.05.1911
SAMUEL WILLIAM RICHMOND 11.09.1911
HARRY BIRRELL FOOTE 05.09.1921
Fine £2 for selling out of hours - 12.08.1929
FREDERICK JOSEPH WINTER 04.11.1929
ALBERT DUNNELL 28.11.1932
JAMES WILLIAM THOMAS 17.08.1936
BENJAMIN FREDERICK BIRD 10.08.1942
FREDERICK GLADSTONE GOOCH 16.11.1942
SAMUEL JOHN SHEARS 05.03.1956
THOMAS GOULDING 23.05.1961
FRANK CHAPMAN 06.04.1964
DOROTHY MARY MAY CHAPMAN 09.01.1967
IVOR RONALD HILLIER 07.08.1967
to 1973+
-  

QUEENS HEAD

1904

Mentioned in Sylas Neville's diary 1771
and in Parson Woodforde's diary 1786.

Recorded in Register of Blofield, Taverham & Walsham Hundred licensed houses taken 9th September 1789.

Commercial Hotel & Posting House.

For Sale by Auction during August 1812.
Proprietor John Newstead intending to retire.

For Sale by Auction Tuesday 25th April 1815 by order of the Assignees of John Newstead, a Bankrupt.
Then under a lease of which Twelve years would be unexpired at Michaelmas 1815.

Mr. Newstead, advised his friends and the public in general that he had moved to the Feathers Inn & Livery Stables at Great Yarmouth and humbly solicited their continuance of patronage....... 13th July 1816.

For sale by auction Saturday 3rd April 1847.
Established for a century and in full trade.
With two parlours, bar, keeping-room, large room capable of dining 60 persons, having shifting partitions, making occasional sitting and bed-rooms, seven principal bed-rooms, four attics, convenient kitchen, store-room, pantry, scullery and offices. Also capital arched wine cellar, beer, spirit and coal cellars. A spacious Yard with Stabling for 40 horses, Hay-lofts, Postillions' Chambers, Harness and other Houses, Laundry and Dairy. The Business of the Post Office having been carried out for some years.

Closed by Watney Mann (East Anglia) Ltd 18.09.1975

Became Shop & Offices.

See p69 `The Norfolk Broads In Old Postcards' - Basil Gowen. pub. 1990