NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GLOBE BLOFIELD Index
YARMOUTH ROAD BLOFIELD HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED & DEMOLISHED 1999
BLOFIELD & WALSHAM LICENCE REGISTERS September 1798, September 1794 & PS 8/6/1 - PS8/6/4 (1872 - 1973)
?? For sale by auction as advertised in the Norfolk Chronicle 31st August 1776
(At the NEW INN, St Giles, Norwich)
YOUNGS & Co Property of John Youngs the elder by 17th March 1888
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS 15.08.1898 : Sold by YC&Y Partnership to YC&Y Company for completion 1st February 1898
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN (ANGLIA TAVERNS)
BRENT WALKER  
Licensees :
BENJAMIN CULLEY 1776
ROBERT MAYHEW 1777
JOHN WOODS 1789 - 1794
-  
John Brown ? 1824
Mrs RAMPLEY
(Died 25th May 1850 - age 78 - For many years of the Globe, Blofield)
c1830
DANIEL ELLIS
age 40 in 1841
Died Q4 1841
1835 - 1841
JOSEPH WARD
age 52 in 1851
& miller
1845 - 1851
JAMES KING
& post office
1851 - 1856
ROBERT JOHN CODLING
& assistant overseer
Age 43 in 1871
Died Q4 1875
1858 to 1875
SARAH ANN CODLING 19.11.1875
- 1879
WILLIAM RIX
age 50 in 1881
undated -
By 1881
CHARLES MARTINS
age 49 in 1891
08.05.1882
WILLIAM JOSEPH PERRY 06.05.1895
ALBERT RICHARD THOMPSON
age 25 in 1901
30.04.1900
THOMAS WILLIAM SETCHELL 24.11.1902
FREDERICK GEORGE GRIMES 06.11.1905
EDWARD REEVE 01.07.1907
EDGAR HENRY THOMAS HOWARD 11.01.1909
FREDERICK THOMAS BUCKINGHAM
died Q1 1911
08.11.1909
AGNES MARY BUCKINGHAM
age 50 in 1911
10.04.1911
HENRY GEORGE MEAD 22.05.1911
GEORGE WILLIAM PLUMB 06.11.1911
ALFRED PERRY 07.09.1914
SIDNEY GEORGE RUDD 19.05.1919
Fine £5 for permitting gaming - 19.12.1927
ROBERT WILLIAM CANHAM
died Q4 1934 - age app. 58
10.04.1928
ROY EVERARD 04.02.1935
JOHN ROBERT PROCTOR 22.12.1958
SYDNEY FREDERICK SPOONER 23.05.1961
TERENCE RALPH ARCHER 14.02.1972
JUDY & DOUGLAS ROY JACKSON
( `The last professional comedian to play in the old Windmill Theatre in the West End '....... Feb 1976 quote)
Also acting as Anglia Taverns Pub Grub Tutor  1975 - 1976
18.06.1973
-  
MICHAEL NICHOLS 1980 - 1986
-  

17.05.1998

1909 image thanks to Lewis Buckingham 05.06.2010
c1909 image thanks to Lewis Buckingham.
Frederick Buckingham is in the centre and his son Walter to the right.

Blofield Globe - 17.05.1998
May 1998

Mentioned in Sylas Neville's diary 1772

Upon Robert Mayhew taking over in 1777, it was advertised......
`...fresh stock of the best Port Wines....He has recently fitted up the rooms, and has good beds for the Accommodation of Gentlemen on their travels.'

~
Recorded in Register of Blofield, Taverham & Walsham Hundred licensed houses taken 9th September 1789.

~

The very complete Brewing Plant of Mr. John Brown was to be sold by auction here, on Thursday 2nd December 1824. The sale included a nearly new copper of six and half barrels with furnace and lead pump, plus 15 feet of lead pipe, tuns of 20 barrel and 3 barrel capacity, 135 feet of lead pipe, standing ale cask of 230 gallons, five stout puncheons, fourteen barrels, fourteen half barrels, casks, water cart, several dozen stone and glass bottles,,, etc.

Appears on Bryants 1826 map.

Was a venue for the (extinct) sport of Norfolk Wrestling.
Had a famous bowling green to the rear. 

~

James King, for many years Butler to the late John Penrice Esq. of Yarmouth and lately with Jack Petre, Esq. of Westwick House, announced 8th November 1851 that he had taken the Inn.

~

Advertised to Let September 1856 with possession from Michaelmas.
With two large Gardens and Land attached, with excellent Bowling Green.
Apply to Youngs, Crawshay and Youngs, Brewer, king Street, Norwich.

~

It was reported February 1906 that the Petty Sessions for the Blofield Division had been held at the Globe for over a century. This was to change from 26th February 1906 when the new Court-house would open. The magistrates thanked the brewers and tenants for their courtesy during such a long period and that the room used had always been free of charge.

~

Sales of 156 barrels of beer reported at First Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and S&P, 29th May 1962, when NO CHANGE recommended.

Structural alterations carried out by Bullards and Sons to be completed 31st March 1967.

Extensively internally `modernised ' 1973 by Anglia Taverns
to `bring it up to modern needs.'
`To be one of the largest public houses in East Anglia.
To include a 70 seater restaurant, a spacious music lounge,
a Tudor Bar with 4 individual drinking areas with traditional furnishings
and displays of brass and copper bric-a-brac.'

For sale as private accommodation 12th April 1999

DEMOLISHED 05.11.1999