NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GOLDEN FLEECE WELLS next the Sea Index
QUAY
STAITHE STREET
NORTH GREENHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
NORTH GREENHOE REGISTERS September 1789 & 10th September 1794 and NORTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 27/8/1 to PS 27/8/2 (1903 - 1975)
BROWNE Offered to let by Peter Browne of Weston, or Zachariah Browne of Wells as announcement in the Norfolk Chronicle of 23rd August 1877.
? For sale by auction 23rd May 1795. `that Capital Inn, Granary, Vaults and Extensive Buildings nearby. Either for an Inn of for Mercantile purposes. About 10 acres of good land in Wells.' Sale by Mr Custance ( Auctioneer? ) and Mr Metcalf being the tenant
PETER HUDSON From auction of May 1795.
THOMAS WRIGHT Sold April 1831 ( A merchant who lived in Marsh House )
Mr & Mrs WILLIAM PRIDGEON Purchased April 1831
JAMES ALEXANDER DAVIDSON of Wells after 1903
BARCLAY PERKINS & Co of London from 1913
BULLARDS by 1932
WATNEY MANN 11.04.1967
CHEF & BREWER by 1975
PUBMASTER / PUNCH TAVERNS From 1971 ( Punch Taverns from c2006 )
ANDREW WADDISON from 2007 ( Also of Stiffkey Red Lion )
Licensees :
-
Mr KEMP 1750 to at least April 1760
JOHN POOLEY
( An announcement published 7th August 1772 that he had relocated to Bury St Edmunds and taken on the Bell Inn )
to 1772
Mr FAUX pre 09.1777
WILLIAM BUSHELL by 09.1777 to at least 1779
JOHN TURNBULL by October 1789
JOHN METCALF Here 1794 - in occupation to May 1795
PETER HUDSON senr October 1795
WILLIAM ATTMER / ATMAR October 1803 - 1818
ABRAHAM DUNN
( Died 1823 )
1822 -  to at least May 1823
MARIA DUNN widow
( Married A Dunn 1808 - Re-married John Wiseman July 1826  )
June 1823 to at least July 1826
THOMAS WRIGHT 1830
Mr & Mrs WILLIAM READ PRIDGEON  April 1831 to
June 1833
M. BULLOCK 1836
ROBERT LOVELL 1839
DENNIS ALLEN 1845 - 1846
JOHN PORTER ?
See opposite
to April 1847
JAMES MARTIN here 14th November 1848
THOMAS HAYHOW
( 65 in 1851 )
& brewer
( Declared bankrupt 1852 )
1850 - 1852
NEALE HAYHOW 1854 - 1856
ROBERT HENDRY
( ? only found under beer retailers )
* 1858
GEORGE FROST * 1861 - 1865
ROBERT APPLEGATE 1868 - 1869
JONATHAN ARNOLD 1872
HENRY WOOD
fish curer
1875
JOHN BURCHAM 1879 - 1892
JAMES WICKS 1896 - 1900
WILLIAM BYCROFT by 1903
( DAVIDSON & GLAZEBROOK ) ( 1904 - 1908 )
JAMES ALEXANDER DAVIDSON 07.11.1904
ROBERT FRANCIS DAVIDSON 04.07.1910
BEATRICE FYSH 07.11.1910
EDWARD BEST 03.05.1915
FRED CAWTHRAY 07.02.1927
HERBERT BOLTON 04.02.1929
ALICE MAUD BOLTON 02.02.1942
BENJAMIN FRED BIRD 04.05.1942
ALBERT WILLIAM YORK 07.09.1942
JOHN EDGAR CURSON 07.05.1951
ROBERT FREDERICK SMITH 14.06.1965
PETER ANTWIS 04.10.1971
.
ANDREW WADDISON 2005 - 2007
-
STEVE BRUNDLE by 2015

The Fleece - Wells - 02.06.1999
1999

Also given as the GOLDEN FLEECE HOTEL

The FLEECE is recorded 1642 in the Wells Manor Court Records.

Plaster mouldings in upper rooms dated to c1710.

The Norfolk Chronicle of 11th September 1777 advertised that William Bushell, newly arrived at the house, had installed new beds for the increased comfort of his guests.
On the 11th October 1777 it was confirmed that Mr Bushell had taken over from Mr Faux, and having fitted up the Inn with Beds, and laid in a good Assortment of Wines and other Liquors, he hoped for the continued favours of the gentlemen and Ladies, and all others.....

The Norfolk Chronicle of 10th October 1789 announced that Mr John Turnbull ( From Thornham Ship ) had taken on the inn.

~

Let by William Hardy in 1790

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Advertised For Sale by Auction 23rd May 1795, then in the occupation of Mr. Metcalf.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PETER HUDSON
BEGS leave to express his grateful acknowledgments of the great encouragement he has experienced in the short space of on year that he has been in the above mentioned house an encouragement that allows him to flatter himself that his endeavours to give satisfaction have not been in vain, and that from the increasing numbers of Gentlemen travellers who favour him with their company, they have found such accommodation in every respect as to merit recommendation. He therefore feels himself63" in duty bound again to address the Nobility, Gentry, Travellers, and the public at large with an assurance that he will unremittingly thrive to shew his sense of favours already received by neglecting nothing in his power to deserve a continuance.
Chaises with able horses and careful drivers at the shortest notice.
September 20, 1796

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


On 15th October 1803 it was announced that William Attmer of Yarmouth had taken on the FLEECE from the late Mr Hudson.
The sale by auction of ALL Household Furniture, Glass, Earthenware etc, including seventeen good feather beds, the property of William Atmar, took place 8th, 9th & 10th October 1818. ( Mr Atmer went to the LAMB INN, Norwich by October 1824 )


William Pridgeon announced 28th May 1831 that he had taken the Inn and fitted it up with every comfort and convenience.... offering Neat Post Chaises, able Horses and Careful Drivers.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On Friday 17th June 1831, about forty gentlemen and tradesmen of the town dined at the Fleece Inn, to celebrate the opening, or what is commonly called a house-warming. The dinner and wines did great credit to the new host and hostess, Mr. and Mrs. Pridgeon, who have given every attention to comfort and convenience in fitting up the house, and we sincerely hope they will profit by their exertions. James Chapman Esq. was unanimously called to the chair. Many toasts were drunk and several excellent songs served to enliven the festive board, the company continuing to a late hour to enjoy the pleasures of harmony and conviviality.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The following announcement was published 24th April 1847

To be SOLD by Auction - On the Premises Fleece Inn, Wells
ALL the useful HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE , a well- selected stock of Wines, Spirits, India Ale and other Effects, belonging to Mr JOHN PORTER, under a deed of assignment for the benefit of creditors.

The furniture consists of four post and tent bedsteads, feather-beds, and bedding, chairs, mahogany and other tables, sofa, excellent eight-day clock, full length statue of the late Earl of Leicester (by Francis), with the usual housekeeping requisites.

The Stock comprises 10 doz. Of prime old port wine, 28 doz. Sherry, 30 gallons of Cognac, and Jersey brandy, 16 gals. Rum, 37 galls. Gin, 3 barrels of Indian ale, with a variety of other wines, cordials &c.
The Sale begins at 11 o’clock.
The Sale of Wines and Spirits will commence precisely at 3 o’clock.

Mr Porter was the OSTRICH, according to trade directories for 1845, 1846 and 1850.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At the time of an Odd Fellows dinner, Tuesday 14th November 1848, Mr. James Martin was licensee.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thomas Hayhow appeared at the County Court 27th November 1857 as an Insolvent Debtor. Said to be late of Gambles Yard, Staithe Street, Wells in no business or employment, before that of the Fleece Inn and the New Inn, Retailer of Beer, Licensed Common Brewer and Licensed Victualler.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Lynn Advertiser of 3rd June 1910 advised of sale of the premises on 29th June 1910, by direction of the trustees of the late Proprietor, Mr James A. Davidson.
Described as very old-established and facing the Quay, with separate entrances from Staithe Street, most substantially built throughout and containing splendid ale and wine cellars, office, capital bar, smoke-room, handsome billiard-room ( 36ft x 20ft ), also capital club-room, cloak-room, lobby and dry earth closet; 3 large attics and store cupboards. Also large open Yard, with pump and well of excellent water. Capital Bottling Store and Bottle-Washing House, Stables and Cart-Sheds, etc..
Large sums of money have been spent by the late proprietor in alterations and modern improvements. The Sale is entirely in consequence of his decease. Freehold.